What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wrigleyanna bloom

I have a Sarracenia x wrigleyana hybrid with a bloom that has finished opening.

I wanted to know if this plant can be self pollinated or do I need pollen from another plant to pollinate it?

I have noticed that pollen is already being shed on this bloom so if it can be selfed I need to l know before it dries too much.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Sean

I don't have your answer, but please take a picture of that flower!
biggrin.gif
I have a S. x "Wrigleyan" and I was wondering what the flower looks like and I haven't found one yet. If you can, please take a pic.
biggrin.gif

The photo is a little out of focus because I have the shakes today. I will take a better one tomorrow and add it to my website.

Here is the bloom from S. wrigleyana

wrigleana_bloom.jpg

Cheers,
Sean

Ahh! Very nice! Thanks for posting the pic! I can't wait for mine to send up a flower.

Savage Garden says you can self-pollinate the flower by collecting the pollen that has fallen and sits in the seed pods upside down umbrella style. Using a small brush collect the pollen and deposit of dab of this onto each of the five stigmas. Good luck pollinating.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for looking that up for me!

I will self pollinate it tonight and hope for the best. if everything works out with this I should have some hybrid seed to share down the road.

Problem with selfing a hybrid though... you never know what the progeny will look like from seed.

Oh well, this will be a learning experience.

Cheers,
Sean

Sean's Ponds I love yur Avatar i have 2 baby Red eye tree fogs here at home their so awesome! Nice wrigleyana flower!

:: Electric CarnivoRes ::

i thought you were supposed to destroy the seed of cultivars
rock.gif

Hi John,
I don't understand your question?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i thought you were supposed to destroy the seed of cultivars

The word Cultivar is defined as...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A race or variety of a plant that has been created or selected intentionally and maintained through cultivation.

That goes for any plant that is worthy of propagating. Sarracenia wriglyana is a leucophylla x psittacina hybrid. All hybrids that are self pollinated will develop seedlings that are highly variable, ranging from very similar to the parent to totally different in many cases.

If we destroyed all cultivars we wouldn't have any plants in our collections.

Sorry, just felt the need to point out the terminology.
Cheers,
Sean

Spec you are acting very weird lately,wrigleyana is not a cultivar but a hybrid S.wrigleyana `scarlet belle' however is a cultivar and the seed MUST be labled f2.

Btw Sean is your sig refering to the growing of water lillys in dixie cups?
tounge.gif

Hi Pondboy,

Yes that is what the reference means
laugh.gif

I take it you have read my article on growing Tropical Waterlilies in Dixie Cups at Victoria Adventure.

An additional bit of info now that I understand John's question... No you can not grow out seed from a named Cultivar and call it the same as the parent. Only self pollinated "species" plants can be called the same. Hybrids that are worthy of propagating can be named but would not be able to carry the same name as the parent.

I can understand that many people would frown upon growing out F2 hybrids but only if they were maintaining the name of the cultivars parent. Some hybrids can be much more desirable than their parents.

Cheers,
Sean

You should get some really interesting looking offspring from selfing a wrigleyana. Those psittacina genes can really throw some screwballs, if you know what I mean.

I've never heard of promoting the destruction of cultivar seed. You just can't call it by the cv. name.

Hey your that guy sean? Welcome to the forums! btw I got tdb water lily seeds from them last year and my avvy is of some of them! Simply beutiful! I`m planning on getting some N.macrantha seed from them this year....as I wouldlike to try a vivaperous species.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Mar. 05 2004,13:16)]Spec you are acting very weird lately,wrigleyana is not a cultivar but a hybrid S.wrigleyana `scarlet belle' however is a cultivar and the seed MUST be labled f2.

Btw Sean is your sig refering to the growing of water lillys in dixie cups?
tounge.gif
DOH!!!
wow.gif
i meant hybrid!
tounge.gif
the seed of hybrids are F2, and the offspring of those F3, etc. as the numbers get higer and higher, the plants get weaker and weaker. like you said, if you dont label them as an F hybrid, it could be detrimental :eek: that is why Peter says to destroy the seed of hybrids and cultivars
rock.gif

why am i weird?

'Cobra Nest' is an F10 hybrid, and is a pretty vigorous plant. The possibility exists for weaker plants when you self them, but it's not a guarantee.

Back