What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow

i wish i was this guy Rajah pic
n_rajah.jpg

someday I'll have that! Of course with feet my size maybe not...

If I were better at graphic design I'd have changed the pic and made a 2nd photo of the guy having stomped on the pitcher... just to hear everyones outrage!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Swords, you are sick sick sick!
tounge.gif

That plant must be at least 50 years old tho. You'll never really get to see pitcher from a seed grown rajah like that in cultivation unless you inherited a friends BIIG rajah for example.

I am guessing that person is thinking stick his/her foot in the pitcher to help its growth, just like Miracle Grow.
wink.gif
Aeh?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If I were better at graphic design I'd have changed the pic and made a 2nd photo of the guy having stomped on the pitcher... just to hear everyones outrage!    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Swords
You know that would get the instant reaction of "What the heck are you doing!!!". That would be priceless to see the reaction. tee hee

Travis

Wow that rajah is amazing!
smile.gif
Do you know where it was taken? Maybe in the Borneo rainforests?

He he, I knew people would be aghast at my suggestion! It's halloween, time for some Nepenthes related horror!  
smile.gif

Nep G, I think in a few years time I could see some pitchers reaching quite good sizes (but probably not football sized). I've got egg sized pitchers (or to use the above images theme as big as my big toe
wink.gif
) already on a 40 cm diameter N. rajah plant and I only got this bugger in June of 2002 at 5-6 cm diameter or so. I'd say N. rajah is my 3rd fastest highlander (after N. fusca and N. hamata) fully expanding a new leaf every 4 weeks or so and a new pitcher every 6-8 weeks. I'd like to know what size N. rajah pitchers Jeff has (pitcher to foot ratio not needed).  I believe he's had his for quite some time and grown indoors under lights and in climate control too, so somewhat similar to my setup. Of course, only time will tell!

40cm? Whew right behind you! lol Mine is at about 32cm across. I have 2 pitchers that are going to form, so hopefully we can compare.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'd like to know what size N. rajah pitchers Jeff has (pitcher to foot ratio not needed). I believe he's had his for quite some time and grown indoors under lights and in climate control too, so somewhat similar to my setup. Of course, only time will tell![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Well, prior to repotting, my plant was over 65 cm in diameter, and pitchers were about the size of my fist (10 to 12 cm). However, after repotting, the plant has not done as well. I suspect that this is largely due to shock, and I'm sure it will recover, but it is certainly disconcerting. At one point last year, it had seven very large pitchers on it....

Jeff, when you repotted did you simply put the rootball in a new pot of growing mix or did you remove the soil by soaking? I've read that a person should do that but it seems completely insane to me considering how touchy neps are about shock and it's relation to pitchering.

When I transplant I just cut down the sides of the plastic pot with an aviator snips and lift the entire soil mass out and peel away any lfs strands that don't seem inhabited by roots and then  pack it into a pot of new LFS, bark and charcoal and then flush the pot four or five times with distilled water (to hopefully leech out any excess salts that might have accumulated in the old rootmass). This seems to minimize irritation to the plants during transplanting. I haven't moved the rajah in over a year so I don't remember how long it pouted after the move. I guess I will find out when I repot the N. northiana next weekend how smooth my moves really are! I hear this one really hates distrubances but the live moss on top of the pot is full of fine black Nep roots so it's well past time to transplant.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dfalkanger @ Oct. 18 2003,05:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wow that rajah is amazing!
smile.gif
  Do you know where it was taken?  Maybe in the Borneo rainforests?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
my guess is on Mt. Kinabalu where they only grow in the wild.....
tounge.gif

ya maybe mount kinabalu cuz there was an article in the papers about mount kinabalu and they showed a wild n rajah

Back