What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would it be a good idea to order a bare-root Sarracenia at this time of year?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I would like to buy a Sarracenia Purpurea Venosa online, and I found one for sale for a good price. However, it's only offered bare-root.

Would it be okay to buy a bare-root Sarracenia this time of year?

Ahmad this is probably the best time to buy them....
dormancy period is usually the time when its a little rough to ship.....
was it necessary to create a new thread on this?
most of my sarras i buy are bareroot..

Ahmad this is probably the best time to buy them....
dormancy period is usually the time when its a little rough to ship.....
was it necessary to create a new thread on this?
most of my sarras i buy are bareroot..

Well, I'm just worried that if they are uprooted, shipped, and then planted, they'll go into shock now that it's the growing season

I dont know any nurserys that sell them potted. o.0

Sarrs recover fast, there's some that are slightly temperamental like rubricorpora which may not show it's full color potential if the roots are disturbed. It can take up to 2 yrs for it to settle back in but 99% of sarrs can really be transplanted mid-season in my experience, it'll just disturb growth for a bit.
Right now is the best time to get them bare-root since it's just the start of the growing season, they'll pick growth right up.

I have never had a problem with receipt of bare-root Sarracenia -- so-called "temperamental" varieties included, at any time of the year; if the plants are healthy for a start, there shouldn't be a problem.

I just planted over a dozen bare-rooted Sarracenia plants and divisions a week or so ago and they're going gang-busters . . .

Most sarracenia are sold bare rooted, 365 days a year.

Yeah, almost all nurseries sell them bare-root, so you don't have much of a choice. Unless if you're ordering from the place that I think you are that does sell Sarracenia potted.

Well, I could spend a little extra for a potted Sarracenia. But if everyone is saying they are okay to ship bareroot, I guess I'll save some money that way

yeah go for it. unless it dries for some reason (like it was shipped badly) it'll be fine. Worst case is a little settle in time but it'll be ok in the end.

I'm considering buying some small 2-3 year old seedling Sarrs. Will these be fine shipped bareroot as well, or should I spend the extra cash and have them shipped potted?

You are generally better off receiving the Sarracenia bare-rooted and providing your own media -- at least in my opinion. The plants, especially if they already have pitchers and/or flower stalks, are far safer to ship without a sodden mass of compost at one end. It is also far cheaper in terms of postage.

Should the plants be just awakening from dormancy, you could go either way. Sarracenia are especially tough; and I spent an evening a few weeks back dividing plants by casually snapping the rhizomes as though they were carrots -- that simply.

They are all growing wildly now . . .

Thanks for the info, Dave... nice picture too.

I have bought plants both potted and bare root, and now prefer bare root, as the plants are cheaper, shipping is cheaper, and I can immediately repot into a known soil. I'm sure most nurserys use great soil, but I want to know how long it's been in there, how big the roots are, and get a look at the roots.

Back