What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would flower stalk cutting help?

My blood red that I was letting flower, isn't looking too good now. The flower stalk is about to flower, probably tomorrow as I can see the tips of the white petals. I don't see any new growth on the Blood Red and the rest of the leaves are starting to die from the outside in (not from the trap in). So my question is, should I continue to let it flower?

If I do let it flower and it dies, I might get some seeds out of it. If I don't let it flower and it dies, I'll feel stupid. If I cut off the flower stalk and it lives, I'll wonder if I also wasted the opportunity to let it flower.

If you want to know, yes it went through what I believe is dormancy and is flowering in sync with the rest of my VFTs that are in better shape.

Right now, I'm leaning towards continue to let it flower and hope for the best, but I'm willing to bow to highly experienced VFT growers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but I'm willing to bow to highly experienced VFT growers.
Well that rules me out. But I'd say take a leaf cutting, continue to let it flower, and hope it lives or that the cutting takes or both.

So there are no traps on the plant? That one is a tuff one to call.... I would continually let it flower but the plant will be in need of some TLC and heavy feeding once the traps are growing again.

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but here is a picture.

bloodsick.jpg

That's a pretty sad looking VFT. From the looks of the leaves I don't think it would live long enough to produce seed if you let it flower, so I'd cut the flower off in the hopes that it would redirect its energy into recovering. Is there still new growth coming up from the growth point? If so there's a chance it will recover if you give it lotsa TLC. How long has it been since it was transplanted into fresh sphagnum? If it's been a while, minerals may have built up enough to start damaging the roots. It looks like the leaves got nipped by a sudden freeze or a hard frost. If that's the case and the growth point is still growing it will recover.

I do think a week or two ago, that I did get hit by a light frost. I guess I wasn't vigilant enough.
smile_h_32.gif

I definetely would cut the flower stalk off. The flowering process has a draining effect on the plant. I would also take a leaf cutting just in case it doesn't make it.

Cut off the flower and repot in sphagnum peat. It looks like you've got it in some sort of weird gravel there - not good.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ May 12 2005,3:12)]Cut off the flower and repot in sphagnum peat. It looks like you've got it in some sort of weird gravel there - not good.
Well the plant is in the original pot that it came in (in 2003 as you can see in the picture). I took the picture at night so the lighting isn't the best. But, Alvin looks like he knows what he is doing more than me, so I guess I'll cut my losses and try to salvage the plant. I've had about a 50% success rate potting VFTs due to soil problems. I do have some premixed soil, so I guess I'll use that.

I was thinking I could stick the flower stalk in water, do you think that would work?

And the stupid weather wants to get down to 33 degrees tonight!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But, Alvin looks like he knows what he is doing more than me,
Well, not necessarily
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've had about a 50% success rate potting VFTs due to soil problems.
Why is that? What kind of soil problems?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I do have some premixed soil, so I guess I'll use that.
What kind of soil?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ May 12 2005,4:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've had about a 50% success rate potting VFTs due to soil problems.  
Why is that? What kind of soil problems?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I do have some premixed soil, so I guess I'll use that.
What kind of soil?
My previous soil problems, well I believe the peat I had used is bad for some unknown.  I'm guessing the peat.  Everything I have previously planted in it, died.  It was very frustrating till I realized the connection.

The premixed soil I ordered is from Dean Cook.

Argh! I found a three inch long earth warm in that little pot!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I fed the horrible plant killer to one of my Sarrs.
mad.gif
You feed on my plants...my plants will feed on you!

Yeah, you need to repot!

Worm + peat = lots of nutrients + unhappy VFT.

Ok, just finished repotting. I clipped the flower stalk and put it in a cup with some distilled water. So we'll find out if that works. I then basically discarded as much of the old soil as possible. The bulb as far as I can tell looks relatively healthy, and has a decent amount of roots and I saw two tiny growth points. And there are two tiny leaves that are still green. I think there is still hope, but I'll move the little guy into my intensive care unit.

With good care it should do fine. I didn't realize the plant was in that bad of condition w/o the pic. I know how you feel with the weather changes! My vft's took a toll this season waking up from dormacy.

Progress update!
bloodnotsick.jpg

Believe it or not, thats the same plant about 6 weeks later.
smile.gif

Btw, you can put a flower stalk in a cup of water and if it is far enough along it will flower, but I don't think it will develop seeds.

Back