What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WOOHOO I got new plants!

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
WOW! Lowe's just got in a bunch of CPs and they had a S. rubra!!! Gawd I've never seen one of them before... I've never had one before either... it is about three inches tall and has nice red veinage somethin' fierce. I got it. I also got this little VFT. It's about two inches wide and... DANG... it's blood red inside the traps! I think this one's a Red Mouth! I've never had that particular variety before either... man I did good today... now to get these plants, which look like they're in the middle of summer, into dormancy... well, I'll see how they look when I get back from the trip... Just thought I'd let y'all know!

Greetings,
          a very happy FTG

FLytrapGurl,

Glad you rescued some plants from the clutches of Home Depot, unless your sure you got them before they were watered, you might want to flush the pots with the usual distilled or RO filtered water, I have not yet met a Home Depot that didn't somehow kill the plants...
smile.gif

Also, it is doubtful that your plant is the cultivar 'red mouth'. Home Depot (last I checked) currently gets all their flytraps from Gublers, and as far as I know, the only thing Gublers is putting out there is Typical Venus Flytraps. Your flytrap probably just has good coloring from light exposure.

You might want to check out the thread on cultivars (started by Pyro) in the General Forums. You'll want to be careful about making an assumption a plant is a cultivar based on one characteristic like a deep red trap. Many VFTs have deep red traps depending on their light exposure and genetics. That's not enough info to say its the 'Red Mouth' cultivar. And actually, Red Mouth isn't registered*, so technically it doesn't officially exist.

Everyone needs to make sure plants aren't reproduced and passed on by name, based on supposition.

Suzanne
*That's based on the Cultivar Registry page I saw posted in Travis' thread...maybe I missed something

I rescued a nep from a local nursery today. I was talking to the owner, and they had no idea how to care for CP's at all. The nep (don't know the genre) is looking a little rough, but not horrible. The owner said she didn't know why she couldn't keep em in good health. I asked what kind of water she was giving them, and of course, she said tap. So.. I explained proper care and got me a new nep.

Casper

Back