What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wonderful surprise!

schloaty

Staff member
Well, with all the craptacular weather we've been having, and it being dark when I get home from work, I missed the fact that my spectabilis x ventricosa (or is it the other way around?) was sending up a spike.

At any rate, I caught it just as the first bud (of about three or four - first time on this plant) was openning. I had some pollen from my x 'Judith Finn', so I figured I use that. Did the first bud pollination today. Wonder what I'll get out of this, if anything.

Hi there:

Do you have a photo of the plant?. spec X vent looks more like spectabilis and vent X spec would look more like ventricosa.

i happen to have the first cross and it's just breathtaking to see it grows and produces pitchers.

Gus

Hi
spectabilis x ventricosa is one of my favorite Nep hybrids. Two of my plants are currently starting to flower. One is male the other looks like it could be female! Is this possible?

Here is a shot of some current uppers.

spec%20vent.jpg

cheers

bill

Hey schloaty, I have spectabilis x vent pollen if you want some!!!

Casplock

Hey Guys,

I got the plant from Tony, and without reading my label (darn it, forgot again), and checking his web page, my plant is N. spectabilis x ventricosa red.

There are only two or three flowers on the spike - I am shocked that it flowered at all! At any rate, I'm using my x 'Judith Finn' pollen, since harvested it only a couple of weeks ago, and had nothing else to do with it. Figured, what the heck.

Caps, I don't think it's worth the sending of pollen since there's so few buds. If I can get some seeds from this cross, who knows? Maybe I'll get something tres cool.
oh.gif

Oh man that sounds like a GREAT thing to come home to especially in the winter!

I'm curious How hard is it that hybrid? It looks amazing!

hey Dave. if/when you get seeds id be interested in trading you somthing for some of the seeds.
Alex

Hey Nep Ak, it's not too hard - however, I have abused it. Only recently have I put it in a truly good environment (the greenhouse), and look how it rewards me!

Glider, we'll see - like I said, there's only three buds, and my batting average with pollination isn't that great....

Back