What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wire

hey, i have 2 orchid baskets, the square ones, they are 6", and i have wires haning from the circles on the basket, they are orchid wires, i bought them with the baskets so i can hang them, i got a mirbilis in 1 of them and a ventrosica in the other, the wires arnt touching the plant

oo damnit i wish i had a camera to show!!!!!!

but if they grow bigger and the leavs touch the wire, is that bad? should i look for plastic hangers for the orchid basket? or could i cover up the wire with something?

The only time I think wire is problematis is if the whole basket is made of a zinc based wire as it will leach into the soil and poison the plants. Since your wires are only for hanging the basket I think you are safe.

Pyro

If your hanging appartus is made from only wires than your OK. If the entire basket is made from ANY metal it is VERY BAD!!!! But only the wires are then OK.

ya, the baskit is the orchid brandish kind, the wood space wood,

and the only wire visable is the 4 on each corner so ican put the hanging thing attached to it to hang em, and the hangers are wire too, so they are safe, as long as they arnt in soil they are cool
smile.gif

thanks

You should avoid bare metal baskets at all costs, but I've found that the metal baskets covered in plastic work well. I've used two large 14" metal baskets for my Nep khasiana and Nep Ventrata. They are both enjoying the extra space.
smile.gif

Here are the two plants.

N khasiana
9783085-9da6-02000180-.jpg

N x Ventrata

9783077-647f-02000180-.jpg

I'm planning on eventually putting most of my plants in hanging baskets to alleviate some of my "space" problems. I tend to use the wood ones more, however, because they are normally cheaper. I’m experimenting on using coconut fiber from my palm tree as basket lining; I’m currently using it only on my ant plant. No problems so far....

Joel

i was thinking of buying those! but i thought the wire would harm the plants, now i see u got em i may buy 1 hehe

i like the wooden ones more
smile.gif
and with hanging baskets i LOVE how the pitchers fall over the side and create a nice look
smile.gif

I bought that wire basket since it was nice and large and can hold a lot of weight. I used gravel in the khasiana soil mix and also as a top dressing, and I think that a crappy wood basket would break under the weight. That basket must weigh 20 lbs or more, and I'm not going to take any chances.  I also like wood ones better, but the ones I normally are really crappy. I'm gonna buy me one of Tristan's when phil and Jeff put them up though!
smile.gif

Joel

Back