What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winterizing utrics

Hi all,

I have a u. macrorhiza plant I've been growing all summer. Now that the days are getting shorter, would it be good to put it in a ziploc bag full of water in the fridge to "winterize" it? In the wild these get snowed over, so they don't get a lot of light and the water is very frigid. Would it be best to mimick these conditions? If so, is the fridge the best option or would outdoors be better (we are still getting 70-80 F outdoors almost every day)?

thanks!

-noah

Considering the temperatures you mentioned, I would recommend leaving the plants outdoors until they form turions. Then you can refrigerate the turions, in a bag with water as you said. Putting the plants themselves in the fridge will kill them. If the weather drops to around freezing, bring the plants inside and leave them at a cool window until they finish producing their turions.

As a backup, you can keep some indoors as well. I've successfully grown them through the winter without any troubles.

Take care!

Chris

Thanks Chris, I'll try that. The utrics have all sank to the bottom of their container throughout the past week and are forming what looks like the beginnings of turions. We'll see how it goes.

-noah

Back