What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wintering CP's in the cold north

C

Canadian Pond Guy

Hi all,
This is the first time that I have posted a message on this forum, so if I make any mistakes you'll have to forgive me. I am getting in a bit of a panic fall is approaching fast and I need some expert advice..and that is why I am here. I  live in Canada in zone 3.  I have a peat bog at one end of the pond. Presently I have a S. Purpurea Venosa and a S. Dixie Lace...(LOL..Dic and Dixie)  Also I have a VFT and two more smaller S. Flava pichure plants. Now..any suggestions for over wintering and dormancy of all these.  I know the VFT can't freeze so I have that one figured out, what do you all think about the S.pitchures? If I mulch them with spruce or pine bows and burlap and possibly leaves...do you think that will be good enough in my area that can get down to -30 or -40 below zero in the winter?  Or should I bring them in and do the fridge dormancy trick? It will really break my heart to lose them.  So far they have all been doing fantastic in the bog and really like it there. "Dic" the Venosa has mouths full of bugs..LOL..
Please feel free to email me as I am still getting used to this forum and may not find your reply.
email is  blacontr@telusplanet.net

Many Thanks to you in advance. I look forward to your replies.

P.S. Hi to Shauntell if you are in here..I finally made it !!  
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif
Code:

If your gonna take it inside, don't use the fridge, if you have an unheated laundrey room window, that will work better. That way they still get a photoperiod, and still get cold, but probably won't go below freezing.

Thanks for the reply, that is my whole problem, I really don't have any other place in the house that would be cold enough to winter them..hmmm...I really don't want to heat the greenhouse on the lowest setting all winter.  The gas bill would by far out due the costs of new plants...LOL..guess I should move to a warmer climate..LOL..
sad.gif

My gramma's friend puts mason jars over roses in the winter, to keep them alive. What difference would this make on a CP? How warm would it stay under there?

Welcome to the forum Canadian Pond Guy! It's a welcome sight seeing a fellow Canadian in the ranks (there is a few of us, but not a great number I believe) !
Oh, and thanks Parasuco! I never would've thought of my unheated laundry room window for my VFT's. That would be the perfect place!
wink.gif

Back