What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine fridge in S'pore

Hi S'poreans,

Does anyone know where in S'pore can I find an extensive range of wine fridge at low prices?

I may need one for dormancy of VFT or mayb growing highland neps.

(other than Carrefour)

Wah leow, that is a pretty expensive purchase! The Sunday Times yesterday carried an article about how to store wine. Looks like a cheap one might cost you $500 to $800! How about a mini fridge that is used to keep can drinks cold? Should be less than $100. Cindy might be able to share her experience with us here.

I bought a mini fridge for $199. Samsung. Can store up to 25 cans.

Cheaper buys would be garage sales.

Hi Singaporeans,
I recently taken one of my VFT out of dormancy from my kitchen fridge, and it survived!
As such, I'm getting a fridge specially for my VFT dormancy. Anyone of you have a similar setup?
Should i get a normal mini bar fridge with a freezer compartment or a wine cooler instead? Which one consumes less power?
I will be storing some drinks in it as well.

hey vistary do plants need light during dormancy?

actually no light is required. but i will prefer a glass door fridge.

do all VFt, sarrs and sundews need to go dormant? do the plants from FEF need to go dorment? im trying to get tropical plants so that i don't need to buy a fridge

wezx: All VFTs, Sarras go dormant. Not all sundews.

vistary: Try to keep the dormant plant at constant temperature i.e. try to keep it in a compartment away from the door. The opening & closing when you get your drinks changes the temperature to fluctuate quite a bit with a small fridge (bar fridge is not ideal, in my experience). A wine cooler is great 'cos you get to see if your plants are doing fine. I suggest looking out for garage sales 'cos when some expats leave, a wine cooler can be a real good buy. That is if you're not in a hurry...

Cindy: you use a bar fridge for VFT dormancy?

Yup. But now it's only for drinks or seed stratification. All my temperate plants' gone to CP heaven.
sad.gif

you mean your VFT n sarracenia?

hey theres an advertisment for chillers in todays(wed) classified section. Its sanyo, there a few chillers advertised including a those transparent sliding chillers which you see in sushi restaurant. That might be quite good. Maybe you might want to call up to find out? the ad is quite big, just look at the refrigerators section

thanks wezx, I'll go and take a look.

Wah leow! That must cost a bomb!
sad.gif

wexz: I just read the papers. What was advertised are actually large freezers or chillers. Those are not very suitable since they are either too large(I'll need to keep 1000+ VFT or sarracenia to justify the cost and maintainance)
Actually, those mini wine-coolers are still the best, since the are small, consumes little power and the temperature can be controlled to the desired range for dormancy.
Singaporeans: You can check out 17th Dec straits times newspaper, home section pg 4. There is a wine cooler going for $168 only.

but don't wine coolers take away humidity? thats bad right?
maybe we can set up a dormancy hotel!

great idea, since the smallest wine cooler of 50cm x 50 cm x 50 cm is still too big, and operation cost is not justifiable.

BTW, humidity doesn't matter since the plants will be kept in ziplock bags.

Besides we have to consider the electricity bills, the services needed to keep the hotel running and the plants we want to put in the hotel. Do many plants even go dormant in singapore?

Now whose house should we put the dormancy "hotel" in?
tounge.gif

Jason

Eh...the CPer with the largest collection of temperate CPs?
smile.gif

We still have to find out whether the CPer's parents/wife/hubby allows them to keep a fridge of CP. That factor would probably count me out as a candidate for a house to store the cooler.
Sounds like a good idea though, we just have to find the right person. We could even put the fridge/cooler in the CP hotel you guys were talking about a few weeks back!
smile.gif

Jason

Back