What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windowsill Mini-terrariums

smile.gif
I wuz just looking around at Petco for something for my plants and i saw the little terrariums. They're really for raising crickets or really small frogs but i thought it was a perfect size for my windowsill. So I bought it and I put a pretty big VFT, (1 inch traps!) , a red dragon VFT (It's mostly VFT's because everything else was too big and i didn't have any butterwort soil!) a D. Alicae, and a D. Spatulata (Is that how you spell it?). I call it the "Todd II Center" After the VFT in there, Todd II. (I name my plants, LOL, well most of them!)
OOOh! Todd was my first ever CP. LOL. I hope it works out well. My windowsill gets a lot of light. I think it may eat a few bugs that come into my bedroom too
laugh.gif

thats cool! I'll have to go check my petco and see if they have any too!
laugh.gif
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Careful it doesn't get too much direct sun or if it does it is well vented.

Sun + closed terrarium = oven

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Mar. 15 2004,08:42)]Careful it doesn't get too much direct sun or if it does it is well vented.

Sun + closed terrarium = oven
You know, people say that lots, but mine never actually did my VFT any harm when it was small enough to fit on the windocill under a sealed off terrarium

You might have problems when dormancy comes around though...

How many hours of continuous direct sun was it subjected too Darcie? Which way was the window facing?

Keep in mind up in Minnesota the sun isn't as strong as many other parts of the country. And the time of year will make a difference also. I know of MANY people who have cooked plants by placing a sealed terrarium in a sunny window.

I have good success with my McGiver - like glorified terraria set ups, by leaving covers ajar during daylight hours. I try to balance humdity, air circulation, and greenhouse effect.

Back