What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windows 98 and DirectX legacy versions

• Thread starter seedjar
  • Start date

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So my buddy got hit by a car a few months back and really badly broke one of his legs... he's still at least a year away from walking and as a normally very active person, just sitting around at home is very difficult for him. I've been trying to get him set up with an older computer so that he can play games and do word processing and such. I managed to find a Compaq Presario 4550 (specs) with a basic installation of Windows 98, and I have a joypad and the usual peripherals. I have some older games - Warcraft 2 and such - but the installation doesn't have the right versions of DirectX and a number of other libraries. I need DirectX 8.0 or later, and others (as I find more I'll post them here.) Can anybody help me locate legit installations of these? I'm going to ask some of my gamer friends to give me a hand, but I'm sure some of you folks out there know what's up. I'm normally a Mac/POSIX type of guy, so I'm flying kind of blind. I'd just put a Linux on this machine, but it doesn't have a network card so everything has to go to it via CD, and I'm rusty on Linux installs anyways... still open to the idea though. My no. 1 priority is to get it running some emulators, as my friend has never played Zelda before, which I find appalling.
Thanks in advance,
~Joe

romb bomb works well you push vote then close the winodws no viruses no adult crap and then download an emulater.

Warcraft 2 is all he needs, lol. I love that game! Try out ZSNES for an emulator (super nintendo). It's probably the best and most reliable emulator.

xvart.

Finding emulators isn't a problem... finding the DLLs that the emulators want is the trick.
~Joe

I don't need a super nintendo emulater I have a super nintedno i bought it for $4 with 20 games I did have to buy 2 controllers other than that I am set I want to try to buy some more games from a gagsge sale.

Other 98 games that are good are Need For Speed (any of them) and Age of Empires (I or II). Warcraft is a good choice although I never got into it hardcore. A lot of times you can find Older games at Walmart for a couple dollars that would run on it. Personally if I had that much time on my hands, I'd get old junker machines and rebuild them... but that's just me.

Back