What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Window sill plant

Hi i just recieved the book "The Savage Garden" and in it he says N khasiana and N alata are nice window sill plants. I was just wondering if anybody here has these or any others growing just on their window and how well they are doing.
Thanks

It is true you can grow some Nepenthes on a windowsill. I had a mature N. khasiana growing on a West windowsill for a couple years without any problem. N. alata would be a good choice along with N. truncata and some others..

The catch however... success will depend on your local climate. In the Northeast where I am located, humidity is moderate/high most of the year. Winter is the driest time especially with the wood stove going. Sometimes the plants would produce smaller pitchers or not pitcher at all. Airconditioning could cause similar problems during Summer months. I would say if your growing area has decent humidity then it's worth a try. Acclimate your plant slowly though.
Tony

I have a little experience with N. alata "red" recently. I live on Long Island in the north east (just a few hours from Tony apparently
tounge.gif
) and have been growing my alata so far pretty nicely outside on the back porch. It has two growing points and is actually pitchering very nicely at the moment. It's still a small plant, but has at least 6 pitchers on it, up to about two inches tall. The leaf span on one growth point is maybe three inches, and the other growth point is maybe two. But each has at least 3 pitchers on it, one on a leaf one inch long. Seems to like it out there a lot.
smile.gif
It's not so "red" yet at all, mostly green, but i'm thinking maybe because it's still small? Who know's, at least it's growing well.

Thanks for the relpies. I'll probably get a khasiana for my windowsill then and mist it in the morning, when i get back from school and at night so the humidity will be higher.

Also I live in southern Alabama and would like to know what neps would do go on a westfacing patio. The temps during the day would be around 80-100 with at least 70% humidity and at night it is usually 70-75 with higher humidity. it would also get sun from 12.00 to 8.00 and it is very intense sun. I know the conditions are screaming lowland (exept for the sun part, but that can be fixed) but I would just like others peoples comments on that also.
Thanks again
smile.gif

I would think your conditions would be fine for a fair number of lowland types on a windowsill or outdoors even. I wouldn't bother too much with misting. The benefits are very temporary and won't make much impact on success/failure. More important is to pick the right plants and acclimate them to your home conditions without shocking them too much. Or burning them with the sun as you mention.

Some other choices of less expensive and easier to find plants:
N. truncata
N. maxima lowland
N. alata or N. xVentrata
N. bicalcarata
N. rafflesiana
N. ampullaria
N. gracilis

There are also a bunch of hybrids that would be quite happy besides the N. xVentrata

T

Is this true? That you can really have plants indoor? Is there a plant who can resist such drastic climate?
confused.gif

ninja,

I believe your conditions are fine now, but doesn't Alabama get down into the 30's in the winter? You should consider what months the recommended neps can actually stay outside. That N. Khasiana might be a better bet, but even that should come inside when it's in the 30s.

Capslock

Back