What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Window neps?

Hello,

Besides N. Alata what other Nepenthes can be kept on windowsill in a warm climate like southern California has? Also, in winter when temps drop (I'm not really sure how cold it get here, I'm guessing 50s and 40s maybe even in the 30s degrees) do Nepenthes that can live on a windowsill have to be put in a warm tank or can they be on the windowsill year round? Thanx for the help

I live pretty close to your location. My n.ventricosa does well by the window with no probs in colder weather (my house gets as low as 50 in the winter by the window). Also growing well on the top of the sofa is n.rafflesiana though its pitchers are a bit small because of low humidity. I often forget about this poor chap and water it only once a week. n.sanguinea also does okay near the window. n.gracilis is so-so, it seems to like more consistent warm temps. n.truncata and n.bical hybrid grow too slowly for me to tell if it's dormant or just unhappy by the windows. Do keep in mind that I've kept them like this for a little over a year, so they are acclimated to it. My bet would be that n.ventricosa is the best to test on.

N. ventrata is a possible candidate. I have one growing on my back porch. In order to keep it happy, I water it every two days and mist it daily. It seems to like the treatment. This is an all green N. ventrata. I have not tried my red top/spotted N. ventrata as a window plant. I do have some spare cuttings that I may try to grow in the window once they are established.

Back