What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

will transplanting into a larger pot increase size of plant?

Im new to Carnivorous plants, but not plants in general. Will transplanting into a larger pot increase size of plant? also what type of medium do you recommend?

Drosera spattula 'Fraser Island'
Pinguicula 'Pirouette'
Pitcher plant, not sure of variety.

thank you in advance.

First of all "pitcher plant" ?, nepenthes or sarracenia, for the D.Spathulata a mix of pure dried spag, spag/sand (any ration) or peatmoss/sand 50/50 are all good, for the ping a soil of 2 dried spag: 1 perlite or 50/50 peat/sand are fine.
Put them in 10-12cm tall pots and use a shallow water tray (2-3cm) then bright conditions, the drosera can handle several hours full sun but will need to adapt to that gradually, so start with morning sun for 1-3hours then bright/filtered light for the rest of the day, but this may vary on your humdity and temps.
Your watering and soil will be effected by your conditions, so if you list them you can get better advice.
As for bigger pot bigger plant, this is not really the case for most carns, in to small a pot they can get root bounds, but generally nepenthes, darlingtonia and sarracenia are the only ones that seem to benifit form a larger pot (in my experience), for drosera and utrics in can increase shoots/spread, but Spathulata is not one of these, and pings have tiny root systems.

Hi there!

1) Transplanting alone will not necessarily increase the size of your plants. Additionally, it usually isn't the most important factor in growth rate. Appropriate temperatures, daylength, and watering have a much bigger impact. If you optimize those conditions, you can also begin using fertilizers to great effect.
2) The leaf size of most mexican Pings will increase if you provide them with less sun. The leaves will also get thinner. In too little light they become sickly, elongated, prone to infection, and unable to produce dew and digest prey. It will also become slightly more difficult to ensure that they dry out between waterings, and IMO shade increases the potential for rot. Pings in general dislike heat, but can handle lots of light provided they simultaneously get cool (no hotter than 85F) temperatures. This can be a tough balance to achieve, and I have zero chance of doing so here during Georgia summers.
3) For Pings a mix of sand:perlite is excellent, and I also use Turface with good success. I got lots of rot when I tried adding long fiber sphagnum or peat to my mix--I am in the humid, rainy south, but if you lived out west I imagine you could get away with this. They can be liquid fertilized at 1/2-1 tsp per gallon of most liquid feeds and will increase in size, greenness, and offset more readily. A pinch of limestone every month or so is very beneficial, since most grow in limestone soils. In the winter they need almost complete dryness (I water perhaps weekly or biweekly, always with a spray bottle and only wetting the top 1/2" of media... I also have then in a shallow bonsai pot), and also need a shorter (~8-10 hours) photoperiod and cool temperatures (40-60F) for their dormancy.
4) For most South African Drosera, changing the media doesn't really impact growth rate unless they're being smothered by weeds, moss, or algae. Or if you're having a problem with root rot or fungus gnats. Things that will more directly impact their rate of growth (and thereby size) include: lighting (bright as possible, especially if indoors), photoperiod (12-14 hours), temperature (50-85F; most dislike heat above this and grow slowly or burn), and foliar feeding weekly with sprays of ~1/4 tsp/gal of liquid fertilizer.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Back