What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will this work?

OK, here's the deal. I have a terrarium

18in high
20x10 Base

FirstI filled the botton up with rocks.
I then put peat a good deal of peat on top of that, so of course, when I added water a lot of the peat floated(even after being saturated for a few days). A good amount also settled to the ground as well.

I was thinking, If I could get live sphagnum to start growing on top, I could start a floating bog garden. Has anyone tried something like this? Ithink it would be cool. I would love to see water wheel plants(since the sides are glass, and its pretty clear, it would be cool to see the roots), sundews, and other stuff growing like that.

JA

This has been done, but on a much larger scale. It's called Cranberry Island and it's near Columbus Oh. In the early 1800's a number of lakes were created to supply the Erie canal. When Buckeye lake was flooded, a huge hunk of sphagnum (50 acres) broke loose and is now a floating Island. S. purpurea and D. rountofolia both grow there.
Here's an article about it.
Cranberry Island

That is really cool, Ozzy!  They are having a lottery to tour the bog - only 450 lucky people will be there.  I'm sending in my postcard!  
biggrin.gif

Thanks ozzy,

I wonder if it works on a smaller scale. The only problem is that I need to start growing sphagnum. I havn't had much success with that in anything else.

JA

Sounds like what I did (or tried to do) - make a sphagnum moss bog. Well, its not technically a cp bog yet - just just missing the cps, that's all...
tounge.gif
wink.gif

I'll post a pic soon as I can...

Cranberry Island? Haven't I heard of that somewhere before? Ooohhh, I want to go!!!
biggrin.gif
And I'm not just sending in 1 postcard...
wink.gif

Back