What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will this solve a radiator/downdraft problem?

• Thread starter LauraZ5
  • Start date
We have decent sized window sills and natural southern exposure lighting.  One issue is radiators with vents and aluminum famed windows that are creating a tremendous down draft of cold air. I had purchased shelves to go in front of the radiators that the CPs could be placed on but that is a "no go" with the fire department in a class room.  The plants have to go back on the sills.  I picked up these clear ice cream sundae cups from McDonalds and placed them over each plant. What does everyone think?

Also too, should I stab a few vents in the tops of these little clear "hoods"?

49f0a415.jpg

034391d7.jpg

vents are needed. poke some holes or something. gotta let fresh air in. or every once in awhile lift the lids and let some air in, but I would suggest poking holes.

and i dont see why those lids wont help.

window cold drafts are typical.. not sure how to help that but a cover over them which you are doing

Closed containers in a window are always cause for overheating concern. If the sun hits them they make nice little ovens quickly if they are not vented. So some holes as mentioned or prop them up a little and keep an eye on the sun.
T

Thank you Patch and thank you Tony,

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!  Will they be ok until Friday morning?  I wasn't planning on going to the science room until next Friday morning.  Those tops were just put in position this morning. Some of them are actually slightly elevated/propped above the soil.  

I'll e-mail the teacher real quick.  Thanks for quick comments.

they should be ok so long as the sun isnt beating directly on them in the window.

Back