What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My D. capensis "Giant" and my D. x tokaiensis happened to be flowering at the same time, so I figured I might try to make a hybrid. I know that D. capensis and D. spatulata have been crossed, and since D. x tokaiensis has D. spatulata in it, I thought it might work. Although the D. rotundifolia genes might do something to the fertility of the seeds.

I used the D. x tokaiensis as the flower that received the D. capensis "Giant" pollen. I pulled all of the stamens with pollen out of the D. x tokaiensis flower a while before it started to close. So, there is a lesser chance of self pollination. I've waited several weeks, and now I've collected the seeds out of that single pod (I shoulda done more) today. There weren't very many (maybe like 10-20), although there still were seeds, and I sowed them just a few minutes ago. Is there a good chance that these seeds will be hybrid seeds? And if they are, will they sprout?

Thanks,
-Ben

all you can do is wait i guess :) they say that the hybrids like D. capensis x aliciea and capensis x spatulata are much more difficult than either of their parents...so take note of that.

its a pity we dont see you around much. you started the trend of the growshelf and thats the only reason my plants are all doing so well! Thanks!

Alex

Is the father the one I sent you?

all you can do is wait i guess :) they say that the hybrids like D. capensis x aliciea and capensis x spatulata are much more difficult than either of their parents...so take note of that.

its a pity we dont see you around much. you started the trend of the growshelf and thats the only reason my plants are all doing so well! Thanks!
Alex

Yeah, I know they say that, but I'm hoping that at least I'll have lil babies soon.

Heh, thanks, I'm flattered. I really didn't do anything; just ask about lighting mostly.

Is the father the one I sent you?

Yup.

-Ben

Searching BobZ's photo finder yields:

Drosera x [x tokaiensis*capensis] = [(rotundifolia*spatulata)*capensis] hybrid by Takaaki Kagawa
http://www005.upp.so-net.ne.jp/khelljuhg/D_x_tokaiensis_x_capensis_giant.jpg

Congrats on having the patience to pollinate these. My Drosera venusta is flowering as well as my Drosera anglica. Now if I can only catch them with the flowers open.

Heh, I'm glad you found that photo. Now let's see how the suppposed "Giant" affects this plant. :banana2:

My D. venusta is sending up a stalk, as well. It seems that that increase in light that I gave my plants with the timer made them all send up stalks.

-Ben

I think you stand a good chance with coming up with a viable hybrid. I happen to have a capensis x spatulata, that was sent to me by Capslock:

IMG_0067.jpg

Heh, I've got germination. So far I've only spotted one that is still trying to get out of the seed, but that's good news at least.

-Ben

CopyofDSCN4703.jpg

A cropped pic of one of the seedlings. I've found 5 so far.

-Ben

Here's just an update on them.

DSCN5937.jpg

I got rid of the three smaller ones, and moved the remaining two away from the third one, so they could all have some room.

I don't think that these look like D. x tokaiensis; the leaves are too long.

-Ben

Here' just another update thing; I dunno if they really changed all the much from the last pic.

DSCN6226.jpg

I really don't think that these are D. x tokaiensis seedlings, since like I think I said before the leaves are way too long, and my D. x tokaiensis seedlings seemed to have wider leaf circle things lol.

What do you guys think? Does it look like a cross so far? The reason I keep referring to D. x tokaiensis is because it was the plant that bore the seeds, and if the hybridization didn't work, all I'd get is D. x tokaiensis. In the future, I think I should use D. capensis as the seed barer, because 1. it has bigger flowers and 2. it does not have snap tentacles, and D. x tokaiensis does. Snap tentacles are apparently the dominant trait in hybrids, so it would be easier to tell earlier on if the seedlings are hybrids.

-Ben

Back