What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will all this rain mess up my vft

losfreddy

Composter
Sorry about the harsh title guys. Theres been so much rain latley that while im away it fills my terarrium, that i keep outdoors, above the level of the moss. Ive got a VFT and some various seeds in there waiting to germinate. Will all this rain mess up the germination or my existing plants?

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>BONK</span></span>

Please refrain from foul language.  There is no need for it.
You have been warned....

Tony

Actually warned twice. I PMed as well.

As for the rain, it can uproot anything that has started to root or float your seed away to another area of the tank. I'd suggest some sort of rain protective covering if you are going to leave it out unattended with sown seed in it.

Suzanne

Im so sorry about that everyone. didnt think anyone would be affended
sad.gif

anyways, it started to rain again and i went to move my terrarium and all the moss was turned to slush! im a-feared i lost all the seeds i have planted? is there any hope for a regeneration?

Hard to say. Did you pour the excess water out? If so, you might have poured seed out. If not, the seed may drownd. The seed also may have washed around and end up too deeply under soil or moss or in some area that would make germination hard. Only time will tell I guess. There could be seed that didn't wash into a bad place.

not huh. its still filled with water and havent drained it. but i guess this stuff happenes. Luckly i still have some seeds left over to replant with
confused.gif

Oooooh losfreddy you got... ***tremble***... THE MALLET! ***trembles and hides***

Pretty much, follow PlantAKiss's advice, and your seeds should be fine. And this should be in the VFT forum...

Good luck!
            FTG

If the VFT is an actual plant you better get it out of there. Most likely the seeds are toast. If they are Sarr seeds you may get lucky and find some of them, but if they are Drosera I wouldn't hold too much hope for finding them. Like Suzanne said, drain off the excess water and hope for the best. VFTs do not like to be swimming though, so I wouldn't wait too long to drain off that water.

Good luck
Steve

you could try pouring the water through a fine strainer, that might save some of your seeds. Other than that, get rid of the water as soon as possible or you'll lose more than your seeds. Good luck.

Bog plants are used to being flooded.  Just check the posts that Nick, Ozzie and others have posted of plants they have found in their bog treks.
wink.gif

Stick one end of a long piece of rag on the inside of the terrarium and drape the other end over the side of your terrarium to drip on the ground.  The water will wick itself out and the cloth will act as a filter to keep the seeds from going out with the water or you can cover the terrarium to keep more water from getting in and let what is in the terrarium evaporate, though, that might take a while if it's full of water.
smile.gif

alien.gif

Back