What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

will a battery operated flourescent light

do you not have an outlet near the plants? If you do, then you can easily find a 1 bulb fixture similar to that at Wal mart for as cheap (or less) than that. I've picked up a lot of 4-foot (2 bulb) T-8 fixtures without bulbs for $10 each. A 2-foot (2 bulb) T-8 fixture with bulbs costs around $14 too.

well hurricane season is coming up within the next month or 2 and seeing as weather down here in south florida has been rather unpredictable i want to be semi-prepared sooner rather then later. what would be a cheap but effective battery operated alternative in case the power were to go out would be the question i need answerd.

unless your power is out for over a week I wouldnt worry about it... its less stress then your plant experienced during shipment

If im out of town for a few days I just turn my T5's off, its much safer... more then that and I break out the old T12's

okay thanks alot, cuz yea id only need it DURING the storm, afterwords...even if the power is out the sun will still be in the sky...hopefully.

Yeah, forget about the battery backup...even though it would be neat. If you used 2 40 watt bulbs, that would be roughly 5,000 a day and, well, that's a lot of energy. You would need a bank of batteries.

Back