What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wild Sundews

I was wondering
confused.gif
how do sundews live in the wild? Seems like they are a real delicate plant when taking care of. I tend to use the tray method so I do not wreck the dew droplets on the plant. Do the plants just replenish the dew after a rainstorm(mine do not replenish)? That would be the same as spraying sundews but is not recommended when growing. This has boggled my mind for awhile. I can see how pitcher plants, vfts, and other cp's survive but sundews seem too delicate. They must be a tougher plant (as in hardiness) then what most people think.

Also do any of you have a bog garden with sundews. That is in the open air not a greenhouse. If you do could you post a picture...
smile.gif

Thanks,
travis

Sundew grow wild all over my property and our entire state. (Alaska) They really aren't as delicate as they look. The ones around here are actually quite tough. The get trampled by dogs, moose, bears, hikers, tourists (or terrorists?) and everything else and bounce right back.
In my experience they do seem to perk up after a good rain. I'll pay more attention to the dew next rain
smile.gif

I also have a bog garden with hundreds of Drosera anglica and D. rotundilfolia, a few Pings etc... I'll post pics soon

That would be great to see some pictures of wild sundews. Thanks, purplesundew.

travis

What dews live in Alaska again? Rotundfolia's?

D. anglica and D. rotundifolia .. along with 2 pings and 3 Utrics
smile.gif

i keep a sundew (rotundifolia i think) outside and spray it down and it replenishes its dew very well. it seems to become more dewy over night and early morning. ive seen it with no dew and the next morning i find it even more dewy than ever. i live in washington state. does anybody know if there are native sundew and pings here?

-josh

from what i know, Wash. has D.rotundfolia aand P.marcroceras. Im not sure but D.angilica mite be there also. Also, Utrics live up tthere too.

i know there is lots of utrics. i see them all the time. they are really beautiful when they bloom in massive groups!!! ive just never found any drosera here. oh well...maybe one day

Would any of you suggest spraying your sundews or is that a bad idea? I am yet to see a wild sundew...

travis

Hi Travis

Sundews should replenish dew after a rain (or spray). I have only sprayed mine after some kind of accidental dirt tragedy...just to rinse the dirt off. I have a d. filiformis in an outdoor microbog but I don't have any pics of it yet. I can only put temperate 'dew in there. I also have 2 others outdoors in pots and they are dewey and full o' gnats. Also a d. capensis is outdoors and is dewey now after adapting to its new open air environment. But most of my sundews are in tanks.

I don't think sundews are too delicate...they just have their environment requirements like any other plant. They do like their humidity.

Suzanne

I think you you should ony spray them if there being grown outside.

I am not sure I agree. I mist my indoor Drosera all the time and it hasn't harmed them. They maintain dew and I haven't lost them to rot. I believe it depends upon the conditions they are used to. If you receive plants that have been grown soft, without ever having been misted then they would probably have a higher tendency to show adverse effects from it. If you grow them from seeds and always mist them, they will be fine.

But I seldom baby my plants and do not follow alot of the contemporary theories on the correct methods of growing, so I will not advise anyone else on the proper growing methods or conditions. Do what you are most comfortable with and have fun.

Cheers

I dont think being washed away by rain would be a worry for them. They would not have survived natural selection if they were done for after a rain (which is what keeps them alive)...

Hi !
I create a very little bog (40cm X 30 cm high 18cm), I put in Drosera rotundifolia, Drosera Anglica and Drosera x obovata. I try to copy the place they live: full sun for about 6-7 hours in summer. The plants flowers every years. I don't spray water and only after dry strong wind plants loose dewy for about 2 days then, without helping, they reform dewy.

Regards

rajah

I am going to spray some of my sundews and see what will happen. I would believe it would help if anything...The only thing that may occur is fungus because the sundews tend to live in stiller air then the ones outside. The reason is when I transplanted the sundews awhile aback all the due came off.

travis

Back