What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wild orchid need id

anyone

side view
DSC_1121a.jpg

front view
DSC_1120a.jpg

No idea, but it's got an awesome tongue!

Where would this be located? It looks like a bulbophyllum to me. I am looking through the orchid photo encyclopedia now. Um I would love to get a 3 or 4 bulb division of that.

I think I found it! Bulbo signatum Click the another clone link.

I looked through all the bulbos in the encyclopedia and that was the one that was the closest. There was another, but it was not as close as this one.

Thanks for the ID, Josh. They grow in shady part of the forest on the lower part of small woody plant, exclusively just above the forest floor, probably due to the moist and humid environment.

Holy crap Josh. There approximately 1,000,000,000,000,000 species of orchids, of which approximately 1,000,000,000 are Bulbos or similar genera, and you looked through all those photos to identify the plant for him?!? I hope you went in reverse alphabetic order to get to signatum.

There is only 502 Bulbos on the orchid encyclopedia page and I went though all of them. I knew it was a bulbo so I started there. I love High speed internet! I sure wish there was a way to get a cutting of one of those plants though. I am a bulboholic!

Pssst.......... pluck off 4 bulbs of a leading run. Cutt off all the roots and scrub off any dirt and clean it up. Throw it in a baggie with some LFS and ship it this way. He he he I'll pay for shipping :p I will take care of the rest.

I'm glad to see you looked at only 502 photos. If you had taken the time to look at a lot of photos, say 503 or more, we'd have to think you're beyond bulboholic and are just plain nuts.

Thanks Bruce! We love you too. But I think I may be a little nuts still. He he he I do like bulbos and I am still waiting on rbjong to get back on LOL

I was serious about being a bulboholic!

rbjong get back with me he he he :-O

WILD orchid?! that's amazing!! :0o:

i like the tongue... it looks like a big dog that's about to kiss the camera.

That is toatally a Rolling Stones Orchid.. lol Just Kidding... But the tongue is amazing!

There is only 502 Bulbos on the orchid encyclopedia page and I went though all of them. I knew it was a bulbo so I started there. I love High speed internet! I sure wish there was a way to get a cutting of one of those plants though. I am a bulboholic!

Pssst.......... pluck off 4 bulbs of a leading run. Cutt off all the roots and scrub off any dirt and clean it up. Throw it in a baggie with some LFS and ship it this way. He he he I'll pay for shipping :p I will take care of the rest.

Hi Josh, you are right on the ID. It's B.signatum. I called an orchidohlic friend:-)) . There was another almost similar bulbo which has slightly oblong bulb, so to clear the doubt we went to the forest. The B.signatum have round bulb, the other B.puchellum bulb was oblong.

Back