What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wild ones

I am a member of a native plant organization called "Wild Ones"

Here is a link-

Wild Ones

My local chapter members participate in organized plant rescues when an opportunity presents itself. There are many quality sites out there that will be bulldozed and we receive advance notice and are often times afforded the luxury of having access to the properties to take as much as we can for personal use or for relocation to a safer environment. Most take for personal use.

I would encourage anyone in a position to do so to check into possible membership at Wild Ones.  If a plant save network is not in place for a local chapter, perhaps this would be a great opportunity for someone to organize same and create a network.  

The other thought that comes to mind is education.  Chapters of Wild Ones are always looking for speakers. I don't recall ever having a speaker on CPs.  What makes me hang my head in shame is that until recently, I had little or no knowledge of a CP being anything but a tall pitcher plant.  I never saw any of those out in the field but.... how many other species did I miss?  Good question that I don't particulalry want to dwell on.

Laura, Funny about the Wild Ones. Look at the thread in the National Sarracenia Collection thread, and be prepared. It is very long, but very interesting. I started this group, and we are still organizing. Read as much as you can, and PM me back. I enjoy your candor on the Forums, and your love of Wildlife, plant or animal. Peace, Milady! Das Bugweed

Well to put your mind at ease, most of the time cp's grow together. One thing I do when I'm looking for cp's in the wild is to look for the tall pitcher plants. Then I take a closer look in the same area to find harder to find plants. If the pitcher plants were not there there's a good chance that neither were sundews or butterworts.
If you look through some of the threads here you'll see that we have the same beliefs as you.
I hope you become a productive member here. Form the little bit I know about you, I think we will benifit alot from you.

Oh I'm into wildlife a lot... I have many two legged forms running around here and there are times duct tape seems a very viable option to get a handle on the situation. Duct tape over the mouths, duct tape those two leggers to the ceilings, or just duct tape their little wrists together so they can't pop each other in the noses over who has the longest french fry from McDonalds or something equally nonsensical. I have no doubt the first time a nerf ball or similar goes flying into a new tray of CP seeds that I will be trying to germinate that I might just have to buy stock in a company that manufactures duct tape!  Just kidding but the thought of duct tape possibilities would be entering my mind.  Hmmm, velcro as an alternative???  No sticky residue with that stuff.  

Now about me becoming a productive member.... hmmm, I will contain my laughter.  You are dealing with someone who not all that long ago was only capable of identifying S. purpurea subsp purpurea.  And those nice tall pitchers, loved the look of em but had no idea what they were.  My forte would be more integrated pest management (no pun here and I am not referring to my kids, cats, dogs, or husband) and restoration conservation.  Big emphasis on the control, management, and eradication of exotic invasive species of both flora and fauna.  Wanna know something about English House Saprrows, Buckthorn, or Garlic Mustard... well then I'm your gal.  Want me to be able to differentiate D. capensis ‘Albino’ from D. capensis ‘Narrow Leaf’... well then I'd say you two would be in big heaps 'o trouble.  I can handle the difference between gentians but please oh please... I am worthless when it comes to anything insectivorous or carnivorous!  That's why I came here!  Consider me the brain sucker right now!  

Bugweed, I will go try to find your thread over in National Sarracenia Collection, I may not surface for a while trying to locate it but I will give it my all!  I'll be thinking of you two over here as my screens are loading thanks to a lousy dial up.  I think I have DSL envy.

Time to feed the wildlife, I'll be back!

You don't have to be an expert in cp's to be a benefit to us. When I say that you can become a beneficial member, I'm talking about your passion for wildlife and what appears to me as dedication. You are already an active soldier for wetlands and if you put that effort to work for us, we will be very happy.

Would somebody please provide me with a link to "the thread in the National Sarracenia Collection thread" referenced by bugweed above?

Hi 0zzy, I know what you mean.  One issue though, the quality of any wetlands is dependent upon the quality of the uplands.  It's a round robin issue. Exotic invasive species, whether introduced intentionally or accidentally, will be a force with which to contend.

Something to ponder, chemicals are designed to kill. Think of all the chem lawn trucks roling through our neighborhoods spraying weekly. Where do these chemicals end up?  But one example of collective behavior with a devastating impact.

Here you go.

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....SF;f=30

I agree with the chemicals. I never fertilize or put any chemical in my grass. I'm not interested in competing with my neighbor to see who can have the greenest grass.

I am convinced that wetlands creation, conservation, and restoration is going to be the ticket to the preservation of many native species to include but not limited to CPs.  This will mean more concentrated efforts of control, management, and eradication of exotic invasive species of flora and fauna as well as reducing our dependency on chemicals.

0zzy, I do not know where you live however, these links may be of interest to you-

Great Myths of Lawns

Bell has tolled for the well-manicured, herbicide- and pesticide-laden grasses of the last 50 years

alternative to chemically addictive classic lawns

This is the way I have chosen to go although many may not like the appearance.  I actually like the look better.  It will take me a few years to convert over but a little bit at a time is ok with me.  Idealistically, I'd like to remove the existing lawn sooner.  This may not be for everyone and particularly those in southern regions of North America, but it works well with my long term goals.

Back