What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wild betas

I have 7 fish tanks and i was thinking about adding a 10 gallon, short finned wild betta to my arsinal. I want a betta under the genus macrostoma. I know its immoral i wanted to breed them even though the're fighting bettas. Dose any one know where i can find or buy one.

thankx

Hi Lithopsboy,

Betta macrostoma is a very rare fish and very expensive. We are talking $100-$200 a pair -- if you can find them. The good news is the males don't really fight like with Betta splendens. There is a listserve a guy from Brunei runs devoted to macrostoma. I think its called <bruneibetta>. It may be a yahoo group. They could help you find some. They are difficult to keep and even harder to breed. Now there are many other species of Bettas. I used to raise Betta strohi -- a 4" greenish-black mouthbrooder. Betta albimarginatus is gorgeous, as is Betta rutilans. Macrostoma isn't a genus it's a species. Betta is the genus. Take a look at the Anabantoid Society of Great Britain webpage and the International Betta Congress webpage.

Bobby

Back