What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wierd Mutated Trap

I was going through my plants today, just checking up on them then I saw what appeared to be 1 trap eating another so I attempted to pull them apart and to my freakish surpise, and a little horrific, I saw this:

IMG_2094.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

It even caught a fly which is even cooler. I've never seen this kind of mutation before. Any thoughts?

A lot of times you'll get double headed traps if you've recently sprayed it with a fungicide... I get some out of the blue. It is exciting when it happens.

Hm really? I gave them a dose of insecticide months ago. But yes, it is exciting

That is so cool! To bad that isn't a sustainable mutation. I would buy one in a heartbeat! That is awesome.

your darn right its mutated
whats the name for that?

Thats pretty cool.
smile.gif

Conjoined traps.

It looks pretty cool. You should preserve it.

Is there any way to help encourage more growth like this? Pour some runoff water from the nuclear plant maybe?
biggrin.gif

Always cool to see. What I wonder though is how that trap managed to snag a fly...It almost seems that the trap wouldn't be able to sufficiently close.

Well donsjsu. if you figure out a way to continue growing out traps like that, and its a sustained mutation. (wishful thinking) We have to see about getting that jewel tissue-cultured for you!
smile_n_32.gif

thatt would be AMAZING! AHHHH that would be the best freaking VFT in the world!

Nice photo.

Conjoined traps are not totally uncommon, but it's still fun when you get one
smile.gif

The trapped closed today. I don't know if it found another meal or jus a reflex. It doesn't seem like it can make a tight 'seal' when it closes.
Or maybe it could be opening again
IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

Back