What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdle widows revisited.......

• Thread starter DragonsEye
  • Start date

DragonsEye

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite!
Well the two widow slings have gotten a bit larger. Quite an attractive pattern at this stage, IMO .......

Gorgeous!
How many species do you keep?

wow, the pattern is nice indeed. Which species is it?

Stunning. Ive never seen that before

Excellent! I thought I was the only crazy sonofa---- that kept widows in the house. :p

I'm assuming from your comment "at this stage", that the spider pictured is a juvenile? Very pretty compared to the drab mottled ones we have here.

Last edited:
How many species do you keep?
Which species is it?

Excellent Q! I really don't know. :-)) I currently keep either one or two species. My older widow is L. mactans (Southern Black Widow). I think my two slings are also mactans but I won't know for certain until I see the gent who gave me the slings to ask him. Did have an L. bishopi (Red Widow) a couple years back but turned out to be a male and the gent I had gotten it from did not have any more (his died out). Bummed about that one. Quite a beauty it was. Unfortunately, bishopi is found only in a small area of Florida.

Do have False Black Widows (Steatoda grossa). If anyone desires slings of those, I got them to spare

Excellent! I thought I was the only crazy sonofa---- that kept widows in the house. :p

I'm assuming from your comment "at this stage", that the spider pictured is a juvenile?

Yeah I get that reaction a lot, too.

Yep, just juvies. Be pretty sweet if they actually kept their current coloration into adulthood. If they are mactans, hopefully one will be male so I can breed my adult female. If they aren't mactans, hopefully I'll beat the odds and have one male and one female.

Last edited:
Back