What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wicked cool mutation

i had a D. Dielsiana that ended up dividing into 3 different plants about 4 months ago.

the first continued on like the parent plant. the second spread out REEEEAAAALLY wide. and the third? well its gone crazy. its growing at nearly twice the rate of the other two plants and is spewing out mutation after mutation. right now it has a flower stalk coming from the top of the crown, as opposed to near the bottom of the plant where they usually come out, and from there its curling outward in a spiral around the plant, laying flat against its surface. however, the coolest mutation its has so far produced popped out a few days ago. check it out- a sundew pitcher plant!!!

trumpet1.jpg

what you cant really see in the picture is the leaf emegering from the BOTTOM of the plant and has no margin. the leaf is not merely tigthly wrapped around itself, its almost identical in appearacne to that of a sarracenia.

trumpet2.jpg

at the top, it spreads out in a trumpet-like shape. today i'll give it some food, and see how it responds to it!

WOW.. that is so cool looking. Just the plant itself, not necessarily the mutation, lol. Though the mutation is definitely cool too. now.. put a bug in the "pitcher" leaf and see the way it curls around it.

That is such a cool plant...I want one LOL

coincidences abound.

it seems like the fruit flies that live in my terrarium have chosen a new favorite plant. that single leaf managed to attract 3 of them in the past few hours.

The leaf (petal? whatever) no longer bends to accomodate digestion. i didnt really think it would anyway, a trumpet formation is not flexible at all. however, something more fantastic is happening- the tendrils are feeding the trapped flies closer to the center of the formtion. spectacular! how cool would it be if all the plant continued to produce these strange leaves instead of its normal ones!

one can only wish eh?

Back