What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why

Why do pitcher plants have flowers

Well, the same reason all other plants(or most)have flowers. To reproduce.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jmenprkr @ May 09 2003,3:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why do pitcher plants have flowers[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
well, why do you think they flower? If they didn't flower, they would go extinct in no time!

I just started so after a while ill have numerous plants or is that when i have two

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jmenprkr @ May 10 2003,01:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">soory im a newb[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
You don't have to be sorry for being a newbie! We all welcome you! Our whole purpose is to help people, especially newbies!
smile.gif

how do i get another plant with one like that

Spectabilis73 - your post is insulting. Everyone was a newbie once.

Jmen prker - to get a new plant you need two flowers. Pollen is taken from one flower and deposited onto the five hooklike stigmas of the other flower. For more information visit here

I would check out the CP F.A.Q , and the Galleria Carnivora for some great photos of flowers. I have heard them described as flying saucers... IMHO I am not sure how they resemble UFOs.
confused.gif

Cole
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Alvin Meister @ May 11 2003,09:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Spectabilis73 - your post is insulting. Everyone was a newbie once.

Jmen prker - to get a new plant you need two flowers. Pollen is taken from one flower and deposited onto the five hooklike stigmas of the other flower. For more information visit here[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Fixed... sometimes I post before I think...
confused.gif

In my experiance you don't need two flowers. I've gotten seed from only one flower, only a couple though

Okay
wink.gif

Self pollinated flowers lead to plants which are in fact 'in bred' and they tend to be weak growers.

Back