What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why won't mine flower?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
About 6 months ago I received a D. lanata that was green to whitish green. It had flower stalks on it. I cut the stalks and another emerged. And then it went dormant and never came out of it.

DCP_1846.jpg

I received another a couple months ago and it has done very well. The traps are red and the leaf stems are actually now tannish brown, as opposed to the green in the picture below. But it won't flower.

Picture110.jpg

I just received another and its traps are red while the leaf stems are green. It has 2 flower stalks. Obviously the one I've been dealing with this summer is getting enough light or it wouldn't be taking on the color it has. But why won't it flower?

It probably isn't mature enough to flower yet.

Do you still have the first plant? Is it still dorman? Sometimes repotting stubborn petiolaris complex Drosera will wake them up. Or it may evenually come out on its own after forever.

That first plant is long gone. The second picture actually looks like the one I just received, with the 2 stalks. The plant pictured is strawberry jam red with tan leaf stems. I have a hard time knowing if a Petiolaris plant is just dormant or dead. I suppose I could be a little more patient! The plant I received this week has a smaller diameter than Mr. Red, but that doesn't always indicate age.

Yes, as far as flowering goes Drosera do as the damn well please.

I've got a pot of D. capillaris that's overflowing with plants. For two months I could get them to germinate until Ivan Snyder said they won't germinate covered. I removed the cover and a week later they started sprouting like crazy in June. Now one of them is flowering - they only germinated at the end of June.

Others like my D. venusta will flower a few weeks after massive feedings.

I've not grown Petiolaris complex long enough to offer any advice on determining dormant vs dead. From what I gather from Pyro and pingman as long as there is a bit of green in the center they are still alive. The exception being D. falconeri which often dies down to the roots when dormant. pingman's photo album of Petiolaris in dormancy is invaluable.

Mine were quite brown, through and through. That reminds me... they could use a little fishfood!

Back