What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why no pitchers?

I have a few Nep's out side and they are both growing fine. But they will not make any pitchers. They grow new leaves and everything but no pitchers. What could cause this? Do I need to worry about it?

-Rail

heres the situations that come to mind

#1 to lil light
#2 to lil humidity
#3 fertilizer present in the soil

how long you have had the neps, how much light they get and where you live could probably narrow down the possibilities

I live in Texas so that might mean humidity is to low here? Right now the humidity is 61% outside and at night i goes up into the 80's. It gets full sun all day long and seems to like it. The soil is LFS and Peat and I have had them for a few months now.

-Rail

well you humidity isnt terrible, actually its not bad for alot of species. what neps are you growing and where did you get them from?

I'm in the same boat you are. I got a N. Ventricosa from C3P0 about a month+ ago. It's growing nice green leaves, vining, but no new pitchers. I live in Ohio so the humidity is not the problem. It's potted in 50/50 ripped up LFS/Perlite, so the soil is drainy. I keep the plant moist, and have it in an open tray that has perlite on the bottom so the plant isn't sitting in water. It sits under a tree, gets great morning sun, and filtered/indirect sunlight for the rest of the day.

it could be that it hasnt quite settled in yet. i would give it some more time

From when I have gotten new neps, it seems to take 2 to 3 months to settle into new conditions.

When Nepenthes are grown outside, they can take a considerable amount of time to adjust to outdoor conditions, anywhere from 3 months to 18 months. Some species and hybrids just never adjust. The most common thing you'll find is that pitchering will be inconsistent - during ideal conditions pitchers will be produced, but if it is too dry, then none will be produced.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]what neps are you growing and where did you get them from?

I honestly don't know. Maybie its just me but all Nep's look the same without pitchers. I got them from a friend who was moving and they had no label.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When Nepenthes are grown outside, they can take a considerable amount of time to adjust to outdoor conditions, anywhere from 3 months to 18 months. Some species and hybrids just never adjust. The most common thing you'll find is that pitchering will be inconsistent - during ideal conditions pitchers will be produced, but if it is too dry, then none will be produced.

Understood. They seem to be growing very well so I will just leave them alone for a while and see if anything happens.

-Rail

I don't have many neps (only 8 species) but I, too, have found that they require some time to settle into a new environment. My N.gracilis refused to produce pitchers 6 mo after I acquired it--now, it has huge and colorful pitchers everywhere, is vining, and is sending up more flower spikes than I can count!

Bottom line is, they seem to need time even when conditions are near-optimal (at least for me).

Back