What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why no pitchers?

I have 2 Neps purchased from Lowe's. I think they are Judith Finn. They don't seem to want to grow pitchers. I have them growin in LFS with a little peat mixed in. They are in a terrarium with temps between 70 and 75 degrees and humidity over 70%. There are new leaves growing and the plants look healthy. What am I doing wrong? Why don't I have pitchers growing?

Thanks for helping a newbie grower!!

How long have you had them? I have a nep from there that took several months before it started making pitchers. Also, have you repotted them? Mine both had to be repotted, the crappy media they were in was causing the roots to rot. I would use a mix of 50 percent LFS, 50 percent perlite. Peat stays waterlogged too long. Neps like an airy mix.

A little more info would be helpful. How long have you had the plants and how many new leaves since in your care? Usually it takes several months for a Nepenthes to settle in before the first new pitchers start to come along.

How much light do they get? Are they near a window and/or is there artificial light? If so what kind and how bright?

The most common problem with Nepenthes not pitchers on established healthy plants is Humidity issues. But in a terrarium that should not be a problem. Next I would consider light intensity. Nepenthes for the most part like nice bright light and lack of that will cause them to stop pitchering.

Tony

The terrarium is a 10 gallon and I'm using a single 18" flourescent grow light which stays on 13 hours per day. I do have some peat mixed in with the LFS, so maybe I need to repot with the LFS/perlite mixture. Both plants have put out several new leaves, so they seem to be healthy. I guess more than anything they just need some time. I have only had them a couple of months.

I guess I'm just too impatient!
smile.gif

I wouldn't be concerned about repotting them into a different mixture. If they were unhappy you'd know it. Pitcher formation wouldn't be affected by bad soil, the entire plant would look bad. Just give them some more time. N. x Judith Finn is an easy Nepenthes and should be rewarding you soon enough, spring is just around the corner and the plants will know it.

Sounds like a little more time. Do they get some sunlight too in addition to the single 18watt light? They would probably appreciate more than that if they are not getting supplimental sunlight.

If they are indeed N. Judith Finn then they will be a little slow in the pitcher development area. They are not the fastest growing hybrid but the pitchers last a long long time. I don't think your mix is a problem just keep them moist and not sopping wet all the time. When you repot next time you could use a little perlite also. It does help keep things open and loose. Right now I wouldn't go messing with them again as they are just starting to settle in. IF however they look lousy and are not growing well as NepG mentions.. Then there might be a call for repotting.

Tony

I do not grow many neps and what I've notice it seems to take them about 3 months to settle in.
On my 10 gallon tank I use 2 - 15 watt fluorescent lights.

Back