What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is my sundew doing this?

the leaves on it last for a day or two then turn brown and die? now it always has new leaves to replace them and it does get little nats to eat alot sitting outside. i keep it shaded from the sun. the new leaves have the red dew on them and are green but then dry up in acouple days? to me it seems like i keep it wet enough, nothing different then my other cps and they are doing good. any ideas? thanks

The same thing happened to mine actually, although I got mine from franks...anyway, i'd just suggest snipping off a chunk of healthy leaves and put them on top of another pot just in case. Sometimes they get quite a bit of fungus working from underneath when they clump that much.

If the leaves are drying up in a few days, maybe increase the humidity around it? Is it sitting in a tray or dry by itself?

i never keep it sitting in water.. should i try that for a week?

thanks Jeff

Yeah, i'd increase the humidity a tad. If you got it, took off the top (dome...cup...whatever) and put it outside, it would definately suffer from a lack of humidity. The problem is with all the dead plant matter at the base, you don't want to put it in too much water...the dead matter would absorb it like a piece of paper and start to rot instead of just drying up and blowing away. Maybe a half inch of water? You could even try putting it above water, say on pebbles in a tray of water? That way you would increase the relative humidity around the plant without the chance of rotting it.

yeah i hear ya about the dead matter - thats a idea i will have to try, strange it stills gives off growth if its not perfect with the conditions?

Back