What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why I keep dead leaves

Buds_2.jpg

Thats why, the D. madagascariensis leaf I cut off hoping it would bud and it did. The VFT though, was just there old and rotted, didn't expect anything from it.

How long does it take for each of those?

WOW!

Talk about a resurrection! :)

Did you leave the leaf(s) in moist soil or did they actually dry out first?

The Drosera took about 2 weeks to bud, in moist soil right next to the parent plant. The VFT has been there a looooong time over 3 months and just noticed it yesterday, also in moist soil.

Cool...last night I transplanted my VFT's and I accidently knocked off a leaf...unfortunatley the leaf didn't detatch close to the rhizome, but I layed it on the soil anyway...hey, you never know what could happen...

I wonder if it has to get part of the rhizome or not to root. Would this work on Neps?

It probably doesn't need to have a part of the rhizome attached. My guess is that the base of the leaf holds cells that specifically help towards plant growth...so the closer to the base the cut is, the more likely it will be to start a new growth

I'm pretty sure that Neps don't root from the leaves; the leaves aren't attached close to the growth meristems like less stemmy plants. I know Drosera and VFTs (plants in the Droseraceae) mostly do. I've also heard that Sarracenia might. And, plants from the Lentibularceae (Utrics, Pings and Genlisea) also reproduce from leaf cuttings - although the 'leaves' might not technically leaves by a botanist's standards. I've never heard of Neps reproducing in any ways but through seed, stem cuttings, and basal cuttings.
~Joe

D. mad... is an unusual CP. It can look dead and still have life in it. I see a bit of green in each leaf. Great job with saving them!

Don't throw out what looks like a dead plant in a pot neither. Things like Regia's and Ceph's and Capes have an ability to ressurect themselves when you improve the conditions.
When I was moving all over the place I had a couple plants look like they were goners. Now they're some of the best plants in my collection.

Don't throw out what looks like a dead plant in a pot neither. Things like Regia's and Ceph's and Capes have an ability to ressurect themselves when you improve the conditions.
When I was moving all over the place I had a couple plants look like they were goners. Now they're some of the best plants in my collection.

That's very good to know and good advice for us newbs. THANKS! :)

Back