What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why do you like bladderworts?

Heres a question. . . why do you like utrics, because they have nice flowers, or because they have cool traps you can see (sometimes if you have a clear pot or an aquatic) and eat stuff? ponder...ponder... ponder all night!
blues.gif

All the above!

I love that they are so unlike any other vascular plant in physiology, have wicked little traps, and lovely flowers. I also enjoy explaining to people that, yes that little pot of funny 'leaves' is carnivorous.

Damon

I like the flowers
smile.gif

another cool things about their flowers. . . MORE PLANTS!!
biggrin.gif

I like the flowers: more beautiful to me than any orchid. These are some of the most highly evolved plants on earth. Every one is special and unique, and these differences usually stand out, both in the "leaves" and in the flowers. Something is always happening in my collection: a new scape, or a new success story based on small differences of culture. Plus, they are made to be shared, and I love sharing. Finally, they are the low plant on the CP totem pole: it takes a special sensitivity to appreciate these diminuative gems vs the larger traps of other genera and I have found most Utricularian's to be most understanding of the passion for acquiring these species that so few appreciate. It's sort of a special club, y'know?

Hey!! Way to go SPECIAL!! U used SPECIAL and UNIQUE  
tounge.gif
Bladderworts r cool! but some on the traps r really little.  They ARE cooooler than ORCHIDs (
mad.gif
to orchids) (like someone i know says, they take up all of the indoor plant space at the stores) And all u mods out there! DOn'T eRaSe ThIs MeSsAgE, YOURE OUR FRIENDS!!! jk
-Captain Drosera
p.s. haha u don't know my REAL alter ego!! hahahahaha

I agree Tamlin. I don't know if I'd consider myself a Utricularian yet, but I would someday like that title
wink.gif
I like to split up colonies and place some outside in my planter gardens, some inside in their own pots, some I give away come "dividing day" whenever the plants need it.

-Homer

I like the flowers best, though many are best seen up close to really appreciate their unique beauty
smile.gif
;

Utricularia calycifida 'Asenath Waite'

Asenath.jpg

Cheers

Vic

Hey Cap,

No fear about having anything erased as long as its in good taste and civil.

:)

I don't know about Bladderworts flowers being more beautiful than orchid flowers but I think their leaves (stolons) are better looking than most orchid leaves. Oh and I love Bladderworts because of their flowers.
wow.gif

Also, does anyone grow their utrics in clear pots to see the traps? I dont have one but i think I'll get one soon and thats what I'll do. If so, have you ever seen one eat something?
wow.gif

I think transparent (or translucent) is a good choice for a pot. Not only do you get to see the traps (not really my personal focus though) but the light reaching through the sides encourages the production of photosynthetic stolons (MUCH easier to type "lollons") and this gets things growing very nicely.

Okay, so its also GOOD for the plants. if I get one I'll try that, then. thanx.
smile.gif

Back