What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why can't sarracenia be grown indoor's year round ?

i have read many place that sarracenia cannot be grown indoors year round with the exception of purpea. because either they will be floppy or not brightly colored enough. With as much variety of brightness and spectrums of artifcial lights that are available i am wondering why this is the case ?

or is there something i am missing?

No Sarracenia can be grown indoors year round..including purpurea..
it has nothing to do with light..
the reason is dormancy..

they require a winter dormancy every year..same as maple trees and pine trees and all plants of specific latitudes..if they dont get that winter rest, they will eventually weaken and die.
its an adaptation developed over millions of years, it cant be avoided..dormancy is not optional.

the only plants that dont need dormancy are true tropical plants..plants that are native to the equatorial regions, where there is no real winter season..
all our "tropical house plants" come these regions..ficus trees, african violets, etc..they can grow indoors year round because they are adapted to growing outdoors year round in their native tropical climates..

many CP's, including all Sarracenia and Venus Fly Traps are NOT natives of tropical regions..they are natives of the south-east USA..where they do get a mild winter rest season every winter.

thats the reason they cant be grown indoors year round..because they require a winter dormancy..

Scot

No Sarracenia can be grown indoors year round..including purpurea..
it has nothing to do with light..
the reason is dormancy..

they require a winter dormancy every year..same as maple trees and pine trees and all plants of specific latitudes..if they dont get that winter rest, they will eventually weaken and die.
its an adaptation developed over millions of years, it cant be avoided..dormancy is not optional.

the only plants that dont need dormancy are true tropical plants..plants that are native to the equatorial regions, where there is no real winter season..
all our "tropical house plants" come these regions..ficus trees, african violets, etc..they can grow indoors year round because they are adapted to growing outdoors year round in their native tropical climates..

many CP's, including all Sarracenia and Venus Fly Traps are NOT natives of tropical regions..they are natives of the south-east USA..where they do get a mild winter rest season every winter.

thats the reason they cant be grown indoors year round..because they require a winter dormancy..

Scot

thats not a good reason, you can always put them outside for dormacy. i think he means why they cant be under growlights. They cant because, they get too tall.

Halt dormancy isnt just a think that happens immediately
it happens over a few months as day lengths shorten, and as temperatures slowly drop.
if you throw a sarra or VFT outside straight after growing inside into cold temps, in all likely hood, it might die.

I know several people that grow Sarrecenia purpurea under lights. They do it by varying the photoperiod seasonal and growing them in unheated rooms.

Here is some of Ivan Snyder's plants, all grown under lights. He's been growing S. purpurea under lights for years.

http://www.forbesconrad.com/galleri...image-small.html#current=_MG_0451-750x414.jpg

The problem with growing other species of Sarracenia is that they can grow 3-4 feet tall. Light energy is subject to the inverse square law - so the amount of energy is divided by the square of the distance 1/r². So if the amount of light at six inches from the source is sufficient at 12 inches it would be 1/4 the amount. At 36 inches it would be 1/36th the amount ( 1/(6r)² ) where r = six inches. What about sunlight you ask? In the case of sunlight r=~94.5 million miles - the difference of 36 inches is infinitesimal.

Now provided you could supply enough light and environmental cues (change in photoperiod and temperature drops) it would be possible to grow Sarracenia indoors. The energy costs would be enormous for powering the lights and providing cooling for the lights alone.

I think supa wants to grow them without providing them a dormancy. They also need a dormancy period to complete their lifecycle. They set out flower when mature right when the temperatures warm up gradually so they can set seed and continue the generation.Dormancy is also a 'rest' period in which they recuperate from months of growing, eating, and living in harsh conditions (though in our care it might not be so rough)

Halt the thread you provided was for sarracenias Seedlings freshly germinated sarrs, can skip thier dormancy one or twice, but you cannot deny it the dormancy forever.

I know several people that grow Sarrecenia purpurea under lights. They do it by varying the photoperiod seasonal and growing them in unheated rooms.

Here is some of Ivan Snyder's plants, all grown under lights. He's been growing S. purpurea under lights for years.

http://www.forbesconrad.com/galleri...image-small.html#current=_MG_0451-750x414.jpg

The problem with growing other species of Sarracenia is that they can grow 3-4 feet tall. Light energy is subject to the inverse square law - so the amount of energy is divided by the square of the distance 1/r². So if the amount of light at six inches from the source is sufficient at 12 inches it would be 1/4 the amount. At 36 inches it would be 1/36th the amount ( 1/(6r)² ) where r = six inches. What about sunlight you ask? In the case of sunlight r=~94.5 million miles - the difference of 36 inches is infinitesimal.

Now provided you could supply enough light and environmental cues (change in photoperiod and temperature drops) it would be possible to grow Sarracenia indoors. The energy costs would be enormous for powering the lights and providing cooling for the lights alone.

Ok thank you , that explains it to me, i get it now, thanks

Sarrecenia purpurea can be grown without any doubt indoor too. As the requirements are going to be the perfect temperature and the perfect position.

Brandylorton: You might want to take note of the last post of the threads you are posting in... this one is over 2 years old.

Back