What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Are There No Gemmae Offerings This Year?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I'm trying to rebuild my Pygmy sundew collection. I'd be happy to pay for gemmae & postage or work out a trade for pings.

It seems giveaways in general are becoming less frequent here for a variety of reasons. That said, PM me.

PMed

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

About a year ago I was given a few 'shots in the arm' and had 20 or so pots (32 oz fountain cups) along the window sills. I thought I had things figured out, with the tall pots and mostly sandy medium. Most of the gemmae sprouted. Of those that sprouted, nearly all of them soon died, because the heating unit dried them out the sand basically became cement. I revamped the setup and have a more balanced peat / sand mix, with more peat at the top, with a higher water table. They WON't dry out this year!

I was offering gemmae a few months ago, but obviously thats no longer possible as the giveaway has ended..

However Ill let you know if anymore of my drosera produce gemmae, a few still havent.

I wedged a 10 gallon tank through the rack and smooshed 14 'pots' in that thing, in anticipation!

2015-12-06%2017.54.07_zps6pqadkji.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hey Jim, I don't know if you know this but there's a website that sells drosera gemmae (almost exclusively) based out of California. Over the years I've ordered every species he sells and the shipping has always been super fast. I've been happy with every order I've placed and I didn't think the price was steep at all. That said, it looks like about 2/3rd of his species are out of stock as of right now but he still have over 20 different species or forms you can still get. You may already know which website I'm referring to but if not let me know and I'll PM you think link, since we're not allowed to post links in the open forum.

Hey Jim, I don't know if you know this but there's a website that sells drosera gemmae (almost exclusively) based out of California. Over the years I've ordered every species he sells and the shipping has always been super fast. I've been happy with every order I've placed and I didn't think the price was steep at all. That said, it looks like about 2/3rd of his species are out of stock as of right now but he still have over 20 different species or forms you can still get. You may already know which website I'm referring to but if not let me know and I'll PM you think link, since we're not allowed to post links in the open forum.

The vendor he speaks of, I would highly recommend. He is the reason my pygmy collection is what it is. I have seen his facilities on a few occasions and it is quite impressive. He is an all around great individual to top it off.

The vendor he speaks of, I would highly recommend. He is the reason my pygmy collection is what it is. I have seen his facilities on a few occasions and it is quite impressive. He is an all around great individual to top it off.

I am familiar with him. Our CP group is going to buy some gemmae.

Back