What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whoooo! cuttings a success!

Hi all.
These are the first successful cuttings i have had of drosera. I have two D. binata (dichotoma) (format?)<span style='color:red'>[Edit: please do not use single quotes for anything but valid cultivar names. This should read: Drosera binata (dichotoma)]</span> cuttings sprouted and planted (just barely noticable roots.) And three D. capensis cuttings sprouted and planted, these have a bit larger roots.
I'm happy!
Dave  
smile.gif

Thanks, by the way, i had a capensis<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected spelling, Drosera capensis]</span> flowering, and i shook the closed flower and some stuff came out. What do capensis<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected spelling, Drosera capensis]</span> seeds look like?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TunaSurprise @ Mar. 15 2005,9:32)]Hi all.
These are the first successful cuttings i have had of drosera. I have two D. binata 'dichotoma' (format?) cuttings sprouted and planted (just barely noticable roots.) And three D. capensis cuttings sprouted and planted, these have a bit larger roots.
I'm happy!
Dave  
smile.gif
Could you describe your process, please?

Outstanding. Congratulations. One of the greater joys of growing plants, making more plants.

Very true Pingman.

My process:
1. Take scissors.
2. remove leaf.
3. place leaf in water OR place leaf in wet peat with a small depression place in soil through depression, and cover that with a bit of soil to aid in keeping the cutting watered.
4. wait
5. wait
6. remove plantlets by removing cut leaf and cutting off the leaf around the cutting leaving a few millimeters around it.
7. place in new home

BTW Pingman, i knew it probably wasn't correct in the first place, so i put (format?) in to ask.

Steps 4 and 5 seem to be the key to making cuttings
biggrin.gif

So far I've only gotten D.filiformis and MAYBE D.slackii (maybe for 2 reasons, one I don't know if that's truly what the plant is, and secondly I'm not entirely sure that it is a rooted cutting, might actually be a plant that came from the roots)

D.filiformis seems to actually want to have leaf cuttings taken, somehow, I know I'm repeating that as soon as the just-outta-dormancy leaves are long enough again...

TunaSurprise,

I realized that, I just wanted to include an explanation.

Back