What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whoa!

To all auction participants, I have no final tally on the auction as yet. However, according to one tally (early) we were over $2900.00. I would call this auction a rousing success and thank all participants for helping us get our NASC going. Final tally will be posted as soon as it comes available. And we may do this every year for a while. I have many plants that will be ready for division next year, and will open the collection to everyone looking for location plants. They will be in the next auction.

smile_k_ani_32.gif

Hooray! How much has been counted so far - do you guys have an estimate? Count me in for next year's auction!
~Joe

LOL! No, Kirk. No store.

I got out bid numerous times.... The reopening thing screwed me over...:(

Not next time, FSTP. All the ducks will be in a row at the next auction. No slips.

BW - Any idea from Phil yet on when he will post the funds he has received? I have quite a few plants to send out myself, and it sure would be nice to know if I can send some of these. Not to mention that I'm waiting on a certain Leon County, Texas plant...

I think Phil said it was going to be updated weekly, so perhaps he's beginning a week after the auction closed. We should probably see something tomorrow.
~Joe

that's fantastic! we can do alot with that money!

viva la NASC!!!

Would it be possible to have the auction twice a year?

This might allow more donations as some may be reluctant to divide plants before flowering.

Also, it might raise the bids on certain CP...when they are in their full glory, later in the year.

Maybe as part of a fund raising idea to have the NASC officially commision a poster of CP. Maybe with a picture of the best Sarracenia examples of each species. Maybe have a hybrid poster as well.

The posters would allow benefits on multiple levels. One would be education. A second goal would be exposure of the NASC to a wider audience. Third, to raise money.

I know that the NASC will have devoted membership, but a broader audience is needed to achieve the ultimate goals of saving Sarracenia. I am not sure if this is the ultimate goal of the NASC though.

Just some ideas.

Tweek

Good ideas about the auction and the poster. We have a year to make improvements to next years auction. I have some ideas there od my own. You should maybe bring up your poster idea to the board members during the next meeting.

horay
smile.gif
smile.gif

That is great! Good job everyone!
smile.gif

Wow, that stumped last year's tally by a multiple...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Maybe we should do something like what the UK cp forum are doing, only problem is probably would have to hire someone to keep it going. Plus when you come home every night you have something to look forward to...checking on TF?!

Or you could look at it the other way and say that we should do it twice a year, in one week bursts, since all the action happened pretty much in the first week. That way we could keep some anticipation going and incorporate a good bit of sniping as well...
smile_m_32.gif

Jason

One question i have...and I'm new to C.P. and this board....is why does posting after posting say they'll ship only within USA? I assume if shipping cost more to Canada? Then why not have a Canadian buyer just pay extra for the increased shipping cost?

Hi Curlingguy

Welcome to the forums.
smile.gif
The reason for the "US only" requirement is there are strict laws regarding the import and export of plants from foreign countries. You usually have to get permits and phytosanitary clearance to ship a plant and its very expensive. So its not so much about the cost of shipping as it is the legal ramifications and costs of all the clearance certificates. Those laws are there for good reason (prevention of pests and diseases entering the country) but it makes it hard to exchange plant material with non-US members.

Hi Curlingguy

It probably is easier to find people in Canada with plants when you're just getting started. That way people can ship to you with no concerns.
There is a CP group in Vancouver B.C. (not sure where you are located).

Kirk Martin
Fitchburg, Mass

Back