What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whoa my parents..

Hi

My parents ordered a Extra Large N. Miranda from petflytrap.com for my b-day
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

They said I was supposed to get a Nepenthes coccinea, but petflytrap.com sent a miranda instead. I like the miranda.

This is only my 2nd nep, my first being a n. ventricosa, and Im really nervous, especially since its big.

I would really appreciate if all of you gave me some tips and/or care info you want to give me

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

Neps are pretty much low maitenence plants, they enjoy sun and water, they like it humid and You should probably put it in a hanging basket since it's like a vine other than that sit back and enjoy

Miranda is an easy hybrid. the only problem with it i have had is its pitchers last a short time(about 4-5 weeks or so) i think this is do to the fact it would like cooler temps than i have in my lowland chamber. other than that its been troble free and has even flowered for me.

Rattler

I have found Nepenthes to be relatively simple to grow thus far. The main difference from other CPs is that you do NOT want to use the tray method for watering, since this can make the roots rot. Although they still do like it moist.

Have you seen this yet?
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq6010e.html

-Ben

Oh, and I forgot to ask: do you have any pics?

-Ben

Rattler, that's kind of strange that your pitchers don't last very long. How warm is your chamber exactly?
My Miranda's pitchers last many months and dry up very slowly, it also accumulates quite a bit of insect debris (exoskeletons) due to my feeding schedule. It resides in my intermediate/lowland chamber which is about 65*-75*F nights (whatever temp the former dining room is at night throughout the year) and 80-95*F days (throughout the year under the 400W metal halide).
If your temps are similar to these then I would look at increasing the humidity or maybe the frequency/amount of watering? Mine is very large for an indoor plant and has pitchers on each leaf and it actually sits on a tray to soak up extra water that leaks out when I water it*.
But if yours is huge and in a smaller pot like mine (mine dwarfs it's 3 gallon bucket that it grows in) then it might not be absorbing enough water to sustain the pitchers long term. If you don't want to put it on a tray and risk any soil souring or root rot, then just water it a few days sooner than you usually would for a few months and see if that starts to make any difference in pitcher longevity. Like flowers on any plant, pitchers require a lot of water to keep them alive, especially the behemoths put out by Miranda!

*Everyone please be advised I don't advocate keeping Neps on a tray but sometimes it's necessary.

it could be its not getting quite enough water. my temps are prolly real close to yours or maybe a tad higher. humidity is fine. not enough water is the last variable. thanks for your input.

Rattler

Thanks everyone

sharp229 Ill try to put pics up

Thanks again:D
smile.gif

VTPTFATHAVFT,
I have the same plant from PFT. It's a great nep! I have mine hanging outside the front door. I'll have to bring it in when the weather turns cold, but it's happy there now. Unfortunatly, mine got kinda beat up in shipping, but it's finally overcome the stress and is growing. There is still one pitcher alive and healthy from when I received it several months ago.

Hmm... schloaty-
I just got mine today! It to was beat up in shipping, probably the big basket. I'm happy though! It's huge! Any advice to keep it going? I don't want to lose a great nep!

Thanks,
Craig

x 'Miranda' is tough to kill. I would just use patience, and treat if like a intermediate-lowland. Should recover in short order.

I can`t wait to get out and order a miranda for myself!
smile.gif

Back