What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who says mondays suck?

I couldn't wait for this weekend to be over because on friday I got an email from this toy studio: Eight Ball Studios to come and do action figure articulations on master prototypes and molding/casting! It was like dying and going to heaven! These guys do stuff for many toy companies, (they do marvel figs, lord of the rings, etc) It was so wild to see this happening near my dads house above a coffee shop!

I can't tell you what figures I worked on today but one is a super articulated 6" comic book hero from the 60's/70's and the other is some sort of huge bug alien monster which I don't know what movie, comic, etc he's from. I'm going back Thurs and Friday too! Maybe someday I'll be a good enough sculptor to do a whole figure myself with them, but for now just being there and doing the "boring" stuff and learning everything is still so awesome!

Sorry I just had to brag!
smile.gif

If you can't wait to go to work I'd say you're in a good place. Kudos.

Oh wow,you ROCK! Talk about dreams come true!
smile.gif
Hey I think you're already good enough to do a whole figure yourself
smile_m_32.gif
Good job!And have fum on Thursday and Friday
biggrin.gif
~Niki~

My portfolio may as well have been surrounded by yellow crime tape with a cop saying "move along, nothing to see here"! They were very kind and encouraging (more so than my folks!) giving me tips for my portfolio that I surely will follow.

Their pieces are completely unreal when you are able to see and hold the orignal waxes/resins! What you get off the shelf at Walmart, Toys R Us etc compared to the originals is a big difference (due to the restraints of mass production).  I have some of their Lord of the Rings figs hanging on my wall and there's a stunning amount of detail which gets lost in production at the actual toy factory where thousands are made and painted. I really had no idea this was the place I'd be going today-I mean who knew this was happening in boring old Minneapolis? To see the original masters of nearly every "cool " figure not made by McFarlane is like holding real gold! Also to see a the infamous toys which were "killed" (never released) cos the actors were being actors and whining about their liknesses, companies loosing liscences, etc.

That sounds awsome! I'm so happy for you.
biggrin.gif
You never know...this could turn into a major "break" for you. Stick with it, suck up all the knowledge you can. I cannot imagine they wouldn't be able to see the amazing talent you have. Big things start out small so hang in there and enjoy the experience.

Congratulations!

Awesome Bro, I love when stuff comes together like that...
Looking forward to when a certain line of a certain line comes out and I can say "hey, I know the guy who did the articulation on that"
Funny stuff- keep us posted, I expect your skills will be hard to hide from folks like that

PS were there any Lee Majors "rejected" figs??? I really want a Fall Guy action figure
biggrin.gif

Hehe I don't think they did any Lee Majors figs. There was a perfect Bruce Willis from 5th Element which was one of the "killed" figs. I guess he was whining to whoever was gonna release it that it didn't look like him and refused to allow it's release (thus killing the whole 5th element fig series). I didn't need to be told who it was, it was Willis without a doubt... Actors!
Supposedly there is a new 5th Element series coming (HOW many years later?) but we'll see if he chickens out again!
biggrin.gif

The figs I worked on monday will probably be out late summer - early fall depending upon the overseas production facilities schedule. I can't wait to get there Thursday and see what's been sculpted over the articulated frame so far!

Back