What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who knows about concrete construction?

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So, I'm looking at this DIY guide on building a concrete aquarium backdrop. I'm trying to find a building method for constructing the underlying landscape for my indoor water garden project, first mentioned here, also here.
What I'm hoping is that I could use the above method, but with something heavier like cinder blocks for the base. I believe that I can get away with less detail on the form, because most of it will be covered in media or loose rock. I am, however, worried about cracking and leakage, as I won't be around regularly to maintain it (probably two visits a year tops.) I've heard of something called Herco's Neoprene Pond Coating, which sounds appealing. It's apparently some sort of paint-on sealant, and also works as a crack-filler. I found it on this koi pond forum, along with mention of the Quikrete Quikwall stuff from the DIY plan. Does anyone know how this compares to, say, the 9:3:1 sand/portland concrete/lime mix advocated by one of the pond forumers? My experience with concrete doesn't go much beyond setting fenceposts with premade mixes. Any help or suggestions would be great.
~Joe

Back