What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

who here wants it to be winter?

The plants I was concerned about are fine. But the Devil's Claw plants all withered. They're done. At least I got seeds from two fruit.

Scot: What is it like just NE of Lake Ontario? Is it considerably worse lake effect?

Jim,
the worst Lake Ontario snow belt is the south-east and east shores..
Oswego, NY gets hammered every year!
WAY more snow than Syracuse, Rochester or Buffalo..
but because Oswego isnt big enough, it is seldom counted in the "cities with the most snowfall" lists..or the "golden snowball" contest:

http://goldensnowball.com/2008/03/buffalo-and-rochester-rushing-hill.html

If Oswego could play in that contest, it would win EVERY year!

Oswego and the "Tug Hill Plateau" on the east side of the lake gets the most snow..
because the prevaling winds generally flow in those directions..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tug_Hill_Plateau

Scot

I hear ya there! Buffalo gets all the headline here, but the real snowfall is south of the City... kinda where I'm in! And Johnny Carson gave notoriety to Buffalo with the "Blizzard of '77". Statistically speaking, I've read that 'Syracuse' gets more snow than 'Buffalo'. I'm sure Rochester is comparable. BTW, any time you're near East Aurora, gimme a hollar.

Buffalo's snow is over-rated and lots of places get more. Syracuse averages a couple feet more and, like Scot points out, places with a quirky topography or location can get much more. A long-ago friend who was from Michigan's upper peninsula had amazing stories about the snow up there. She mentioned the same thing as one of Scot's links - 2nd floor doors for use in winter. That appealed to me at one time, but not anymore.

Back