What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who here lives in the ghetto

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
Today another dead body found on the street. Quite frequently they are found laying along the curb in the morning or in the park or dumpsters. I live a couple blocks from a very notorious street named 'Park Ave', this is one of Omahas worst strips.
Come on people I know I'm not the only ghetto-kid here.

Joe

Oh yeah, I've heard of the how bad the ghetto is in Nebraska.
I've lived in places you could never even imagine.

Ghetto is kinda a racist term here in california... you should say hood instead :;)):

Ozzy, you being sarcastic?

I don't know about anywhere else in NE but Omaha has some ghettos that are pretty dark even on the sunniest days. (NO, thats not a race refference) No sidewalks, more than half of the block is empty lots, street is brick, trees overhang the streets and yards so badly sun doesn't make it to the ground. I used to live on this street called "Crack Alley", aptly named. All my life I've lived in the ghetto.

Joe

Why is ghetto racist? It doesn't imply anything but being poor.

Joe

I always thought of it as meaning "black", or something poor black people live/ have/ do
confused.gif

Yeah I was being sarcastic. I was making a joke because when you hear ghetto, you don't normally think of NE.
The second part of my post was true though.

No, all kinds of people live in different kinds of ghettos. Some ghettos tend to have certain races living in them but I assure you there are ghettos for all races. Trailor parks tend to be associated with white folks but I am sure there are probably black folks in some trailors parks too.

I know nobody thinks of NE when they hear the word ghetto, but we do have them and some are pretty bad.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ June 12 2004,9:13)]I always thought of it as meaning "black", or something poor black people live/ have/ do  
confused.gif
IIRC, "ghetto" started out as an old Italian word meaning something like "where the Jews (are forced) to live".  I don't know when it started being applied to other folk but I'm betting it was fairly recently - maybe after WW2.

Merlin

Ghetto bascically means poor. Me being an african american, and having lived in some rough hood areas, i can deffinately say im glad my parents worked hard to get where they are today. There are many areas less than a mile away worss than anywhere i've lived. Chicago is among the worst. Many murders on those streets. A lot of things associated with the hood are too mature for this forum
smile_m_32.gif

When I was youngun, my parents had a place (when we still lived in Germany) on a place called Paenes Straße (street). It was a ghetto if one ever existed, my dad almost got killed... The same man who almost killed him, later became their apartment neighbor, but luckily he was too whacked out to recognize him. Yeah, my earlier history goes through some pretty crazy times.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Est, I want a "ss" key.

Bah! They already changed the street signs for foreigners, at least let me hang on to it!  You're just jealous
smile.gif
.  Well, you're welcome to bookmark this thread, and copy/cut and paste the "ß" every time you wanna use it
smile_n_32.gif
 Or, depending on your OS, you could find it under varying points in the "acessories" part of your start menu, should be called "character map", or something along those lines.
smile_m_32.gif

Oh, and just so everyone knows, the name of the straße (
smile_m_32.gif
) that my parents used to live on is pronounced just like the name of the body-part.

I am from the back streets of Boston, in the 'fields'. I have known the 'combat zone'. Nebraska is way behind, but making a serious run for it. The problem is that the main routes through the country have been successfully defended against drug transportation. The drug runners needed new and harder to defend routes. Through Hastings, Omaha and few other cities in Nebraska they have found their routes. The amount of illegal substances being moved through Nebaska and other "backwoods" states is astonishing at best. The main drug route now runs right through this state and if you look around you could trace it by the damage it has done.

I grew up with a drug dealing family, on the streets. I moved away from it and left it behind. The streets followed. We are trying to fight this tide. A tide of grief and dispair that moves inward from the coasts. At this point it is deffinately a losing battle, but we will not give up the fight!

I grew up runnin through the 9th ward. Street life was basically a way of life back then. I had a gun before I had my license. I didn't want to shoot any body, but I darn sure didn't want to get shot slippin either. At 15 I started slangin dope in the desire housing projects. By no means proud of it, but I thought that was what you had to do to get by in the world. At 16 I got 3rd degree burns over a third of my body or so working one of those "real world" jobs. Getting burned by 700 degree roofing asphalt isn't a walk in the park either. I started to educate myself after that. I darn sure didn't want to ever be in that position again.

Today, I think I have made it pretty good for myself, considering.

I don't doubt how bad any of you might have it, but if you wanna see a real "Ghetto" you come on down here to N'awlins. I will not walk through Desire again if you gave me a truckload of money, and I know people there. Last month some rookie cop that transfered in from out of town tried to arrest a street corner thug (low ball dope dealer sellin $10 bags of whatever kinda drug he had on him). Long story short, luckily the cop made it back to his car, but it took swat to get him out of the "ghetto"

And all of that is why I live in quiet, sleepy little Oswego.  I am thankful my big excitement is watching my first flowers open or pulling up my first radish.  Professionally done fireworks.  There's enough there to last me all year.

I lived in North Hollywood for a while after I took a job with Disney. Talk about dumpy hoods. Jeesh! We would literally have gangs in turf battles all the time! I even learned to read graffiti. It was quite troubling. There were lots of deaths too, the entire scene was depressing. But from what I have read it was nothing compared to some of the projects in other large urban areas.

C

Back