What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has the tropic aire humidifier???

I need more humidity in my terrarium and I was looking at a tropic aire unit. Those of you that have one, does it work pretty good? what size terrarium do you have it in?

Also where did you get one? do normal pet stores sell them?

currantly I'm using a el cheapo water bottle with the top cut off and an airstone on the bottom.

The cheap way was the way I was doing it also. I have a 10 gallon tank. With the glass of water and airstone, it took up space where I could place another plant. If you need room in your tank and want to get the glass of water out, then go a head and get one. I bought mine at That Fish Place for $11.99. I do not think it's any better then using a glass with water.

Yeah i would go with a Sunbeam humidifier over this unit. You can give it a try but you can also find this humidifier in any pet store like a petco i found it to not work as well i wanted it too so i would go with a sunbeam for-sure good luck!
E.c

These tropic aire humidifers are not good , they don't do nothing really , its pretty much the same thing as an airstone in a bottle except this thing has the so called wonderful " sponge " . I'd go with a ultra sonic humidifer just as E.C. said , there very good and your plants will love it . As for these humifiers , the topic aires , you'll just be wasting your time and money so i would try to avoid using them .

Electric Carnivores, do have a pic of the Sunbeam unit? How big is it? Is it a room unit or something you can put in your tank?

Check out some of the ultrasonic humidifiers online at a place called Mainland Mart. I bought the slimmest small one for my 10 gallon. Works great!

do you guys have pics of this sunbeam/ultrasonic humidifier in action? How big is it? The reason I was looking at the tropic air one is that its just got a small tube that goes in the terrarium and not a huge box. Are these sunbeam ones similar? or does a huge box thing have to be in the tank?

The tropic aire does the best in ultra low humidity environments. If you have something that's already over about 70%, you won't notice much HUMIDITY, however beyond generation of humidity, there's the air exchange issue. If you use an ultrasonic humidifier that is good for humidity, but does nothing for air exchange which needs to be done if you have a relatively enclosed system.

We use electric fans and ultrasonic systems in our large 100+ gallon setups... and the tropic aire in anything 20 gallons or less.

Well the Tropic aire humidifier did nothing for me and i try using it over 3 times and other's say its not very good as well so im going to leave it at that because Pft does sell this unit and im not saying its not worth a try but just letting this topic know its not very effective. Good luck everyone
wink.gif
E.C

well my tank is only an 18 gallon cube so maybe its worth a try. Or maybe I'll just make a replica of one and see how that compares to the glass of water....

Here is a pic of an ultrasonic fogger in action.

IM000315.jpg

Oooohhh, drunknmunky - whats the plant on the left? Some kind of bonsai?

well, i could get all technical on you and say that "bonsai" is a literal japanese word meaning (roughly) "tree in a pot" and it is not actually a 'type" of plant, but i know what you mean =)

But, yes, that is a bonsai. actually both the trees in there are bonsai. This i my "revitalizer" tank that i keep at 100% humidity, 87F and 18 hours of full spectrum light. the one on the left is a form of a dwarf cypress that my friend brought back from Louisiana recently. I cant seem to get the brown out of it, so i gave it a shot in the revitalizer. The center, orchid of course, unknown species. The left is a Hawaiian Umbrealla tree that i am attempting to train down to smaller leaves. it needs to be in the high humidity to promote it to sprout new leaves after i pluck them all off =)

hmm its literally a fog maker. does it just use water to operate or does it require some chemicals for some sort of reaction?

how much do those run for and do you leave it on 24/7 in a normal terrarium? (i.e. not a rehab tank)

I just gotta say thanks guy/gals a bunch you've been very helpful:)

found some on ebay.... I'm going to get one they look sweet!

ok so which is better the Ultrasonice fogger? Or the Exo Terra fogger?

They seem to be about the same price.

In the summer (remember I live in S. California) I have it on 1 hour in the morning and one in the evening. More than that and the condensation starts to drip off the walls and onto the bottom of the tank. It really depends on the humidity, power of your machine, and tank size. I've got the slim ultrasonic humidifier from Mainland mart, and an 15 gal tank. Humidity is 40-95% year round.

The ultrasonic vibrates water quickly - all you need is the little machine, an outlet and some water in a container. It helps to have something to keep the water from splashing if you've got a small space. The water spurts straight up, so I have a dome positioned above to keep it from making a mess.

nice I too live in socal. So you have the sim one... how big is it and does it take up alot of room?
in drunknmunky picture (nice pic btw) I can't see the actuall humidifier only the humidity:D . Can someone give me the dimensions?

The small unit i used in that picture is a cylinder about the size of a quarter and about 2 inches deep. really small actually, but it has to be about 3" under water to work properly. They make much bigger ones, my friend has one that is that size of a shoebox that has 12 Ultrasonic discs on it that will emulsify about 2 gallons of water in an hour. he has it in his greenhouse and it makes it so humid that the roof will "rain" it's fun =)

Back