What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has the tallest nepenthes?

Honestly, I got the idea from buckeye who created a similar topic which involved sarracenias. Sooooooo, I know that there are many of you guys that have huge and tall nepenthes, so why not throw a little competition?
biggrin.gif
I can't promisse any prizes jejeje You have to have evidence of such size like a picture of the nep with the measuring tape or something. We don't want any fiction
wink.gif
(By the way, this is a height competition not a pitcher contest)

Well, I'm gonna start this by presenting my very own nepenthes x coccinea which measures more than 3 feet tall:
longitude_co.jpg

longitude_coc.jpg

wow.gif
those are huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  how long they'd take to grow? can you post some pics of the pitchers please?

Ok, now I have to:

Dig out my tape measure.
Get help removing my N. x ventrata out of its growth chamber.
Get help taking a photo.

Hmm, I think I can do this.

Doesn't anynone have nepenthes bigger than mine?! Mine is only 3 feet tall! What about the moderators? They've gotta have titans for nepenthes!
tounge.gif

spec has a maxima that is in feet but not sure how high and there are other peeps with taller neps just wait they are sleeping giants

They have some big ones in the Nursery at Kew Gardens. I know I can't enter this one in the competition, but it's huge. I think it's a N. madagascariensis, but I'm not certain. It is the biggest nep I've seen in the UK though.

MeNep.jpg

My biggest nep is my N. ventricosa at about 3 feet.

ventricosa.jpg

venmes.jpg

Vic

I bought some N x ventratas that had vined down about three feet. Rather than try to stake up the not-so-healthy looking vines (I think light and basic maintenance were sorely lacking), I cut the plants back significantly and made a few dozen cuttings. The vertical growth on the upright stalks increased noticably and pitcher production shot up. One has grown up to about 18" from 12" just a couple months ago. Another maybe 20" stalk is vining up the pergola and confederate jasmine, while making pitchers. I hope it doesn't get cold or dry any time soon. In a few weeks, that could make some great photos.

I love that plant, and it seems to love me back. I've said it before, the ventrata kills Florida bugs in swarms. It's no accident. No matter where I place them, they are extermination machines.

Back