What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has a n. northiana?

I've recently got one of these and its doing great so far, but I'v only had it fro about 2 weeks. Mins just a baby with it being ong about 3" not including its tendrils/pitchers.

Right now its substrate consist of just pur sphagnum and its fine.
I would just like to know what conditions you guys are groing you northiana in. Mine is in typical lowland conditions, but is receiving constant high humidity.... roughly 80-85%

So in what conditions are your guys N northianas in?

sweet.....later

Hey Flip, its very tough to grow because it hates environmental fluncatuations. Very high humidity, a shady spot, warm temps and a moist substrate are a must for this species.

I realize its requierments as far as its needs.The place its sitting is going to stay there for ever untill its out grow its pot. Also luckily my chamer rarely fluctuates...

I was just curious as to how others are treating there, in sense what mix they are in and if they have them in direct light or so on...

Hey NG do you have a Northiana
?

Hi Flip, yes I do. I've put it through the gates of ####, but I do have the species.
smile.gif
I've over heated it, dried it out and cooked it but finally after getting things right its starting to come around for me! It sits in my N. bicalcarata pot shaded by the big leaf shields. Humidity is fine and temp is a bit cool (75F) but as hot as I can get it.

awesome, is yours producing juvi picthers ? or is it in transition? Mine has one cute little pink picther with really long tendrils...So I take it yours is a pretty hary plant considering what you've put it through, lol

Hey FlipSide,
I'm waiting for 1 to arrive.....I think (?) I've forgotten if I ordered it, but it is one that I have wanted to get for awhile so I assume I did order it. Something happened to the order and I've forgotten what I ordered now except I know I ordered a N.sumatrana.
Anyways yeah I think I'll have one soon and it is a beautiful plant I love the flared peristome plants.
I have no advice but I'm waiting for someone else to say something exciting
wink.gif
tounge.gif

Joe

hey SIH thats awesome that you ordered one as well. Do you know how big yours is that you ordered? mines just a baby at about 3" they don't start producing those awesome flared pitchers untill they're mature, I think.....

I have no idea how big it will be, Though I think you are right about the maturity. Let's play the waiting game
tounge.gif
Have no choice really except that it is worth the wait once the wait is over.

Joe

The wait isn't that bad I suppose, the juvi pitchers on my plant are a pretty pink color so at least its making nice pitchers either way...

Thats cool! You know what?......Last 2 times I placed orders, the veitchii lowland was out
mad.gif
thats the other flared I want and perhaps in a year I will try highland then be able to move on.
The northiana is a sharp plant. I really hope I did place an order for one I think I did but, just don't know for sure and now that we've been talking about it I reeeeaaaallllyyyy hope I did. Otherwise I would have forgotten and not known that I didn't
rock.gif
but now if I didn't I'll have to kick myself
sad.gif

Joe

where did you place the order at? maybe you can call them and see whats on your ordered list. If its not on there, you can add it
biggrin.gif

hey SIH did you ever receive that order of plants? did you end up wih a N. northiana?

p.s. I just fed mine...lol
cool.gif

Malesiana and NO not yet. I must be patient though. I am pretty sure I did though. I fed my bical tonight, baby formula. I'll post it here when I get it.

Joe

Back