What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who do you use to post photos?

• Thread starter bluemax
  • Start date

bluemax

Lotsa blue
Supporter
With the demise of Photobucket as a free image hosting site, and the carnage resulting, I have undertaken a search for a replacement site. I am guessing that I am not the only one and that others have found their new place to refer their photos from. So I wish to speak a bit about who I have decided on and invite others to do the same, if they feel the spirit to. Likely not everyone will want the exact same thing from their image hosting site.

I have recently been using a site called ImgBB and I think they are the one I will stick with, at least for awhile. They can found here: https://imgbb.com/ I like this site because it is easy to use, simple without being too simple and still has some possibly needed goodies such as various choices for resolution/size of photographs posted. I realize there is no guarantee that they will be here for many years to come or that they will not start charging for their services. I don't think you will find such guarantees with any free providers out there. Just the same I have been happy so far with this site.

Last edited:
I use imgur.com, Ive used them for around 4 years now and they are consistently reliable and dont try and force you into doing something you dont want. Their service is simple, free, and easy to use, and they offer in app photo editing so you can crop and such. They have a mobile app for uploading pictures from your phone fast and easy.

Flickr has been my go to since photobucket decided to screw everyone over. Definitely the best image hosting site I've used thus far, it's a nice change to use website that isn't plastered with ad's and pop-ups. There's also a pretty good community feature that no other hosting site really has, just an added bonus.

Flicker! I've always used them. The easy and reliable.

Flickr is my goto as well. I used imgur for a while but needing to manually resize every picture I upload is a pain, while Flickr can embed the picture in a variety of sizes automatically. As a bonus, it will automatically caption pictures for you, provided you inputted a title when you uploaded it.

I've had a Flckr account almost as long as my Photobucket account but rarely use it even now. As reviled as Photobucket was even in the free days they had many features that I liked. Mainly to just go through an album, check the photos you wanted, and create multiple image links at once. Great if you are like myself and include many pictures in one post. I think Imageshack might have this feature but you need a paid subscription to even upload photos to them.

Most of the other free services like ImgBB that I've looked at don't offer features like password protecting albums and images so you can control who has access to your images.

So it's a toss up at the moment between Flickr and Imgur. Flickr actually has too many features most of which I find useless and annoying (social media).

Note: Andrew has generously expanded access to the photo hosting on Terraforums so that is also an option.

Last edited:
I use imgur, it's easy to transfer them from my phone to online using the app. The only thing I found annoying was that it's a bit confusing to get to your gallery at first. No huge complaints though.

Flickr.
You can still copy and paste specific image URL’s for hotlinking elsewhere, something photosuckit never allowed.

Postimage has a similarly simple interface.
https://postimages.org

But with several of these services, you don't have a control over licensing. I didn't find any info about imgbb.com, but here is one from imager (link):

By uploading a file or other content or by making a comment, you represent and warrant to us that (1) doing so does not violate or infringe anyone else's rights; and (2) you created the file or other content you are uploading, or otherwise have sufficient intellectual property rights to upload the material consistent with these terms. With regard to any file or content you upload to the public portions of our site, you grant Imgur a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable worldwide license (with sublicense and assignment rights) to use, to display online and in any present or future media, to create derivative works of, to allow downloads of, and/or distribute any such file or content. To the extent that you delete any such file or content from the public portions of our site, the license you grant to Imgur pursuant to the preceding sentence will automatically terminate, but will not be revoked with respect to any file or content Imgur has already copied and sublicensed or designated for sublicense. Also, of course, anything you post to a public portion of our site may be used by the public pursuant to the following paragraph even after you delete it.

postimage has the similar/same term (link).

Flickr will let you choose the licensing term. I prefer to release my images as Creative Commons license (CC-BY-SA), so Flickr is the easiest to achieve it. They are using older 2.0 version of CC, instead of 4.0, which has a better protection over international use, though.

Last edited:
Flickr.
You can still copy and paste specific image URL’s for hotlinking elsewhere, something photosuckit never allowed.

Photosuckit :-))

Flickr.

Not true, Photobucket always allowed hotlinks. In the early days (prior to 2010) they would throttle or block your hotlinks if your account exceeded it's monthly bandwidth allocation. After 2009 they increased the monthly allocations and it rarely became a problem.

There is an add-on now available for Firefox and Chrome that restores the Photobucket hotlinks for free accounts:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-fix/?src=api

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...alioapbifiaedg?hl=en&hotlinkfix=1509059761812

Last edited:
Wow! That's a slick and easy fix! I can even see all the photos on the Photofinder again. Thanks, Not a Number!

Back