What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whitish cloud

Hi,
I have been out of the fish hobby a looong time.
My daughter's friend has a small hex tank that she just put two mollies in. She got them two days ago from Petco. The tanks previous occupant, a rainbow shark had died recently(put in a unclean bucket during a water change).
She just noticed today a cloudy layer on the bottom of the tank. It looks like cobwebs in layers almost. The water is slightly cloudy.
All I could think of is a bacteria bloom of some kind, and tomorrow I will hydroclean the gravel to get the guck out and do a partial water change.
Any thoughts from you fish people out there?

Thanks,

Joe

sounds like a bacteria to me as well.
I would remove the fish, leave the water in the tank, add one full bottle of over the counter Hydrogen Peroxide, allow to set 24 hrs, stir well, drain and refill. The fish may be added back at this time, no rinsing required. Feed the fish sparingly for a week or two until your benificial bacteria rebuild.

So the peroxide "wears" out after 24 hours and you just simply refill after draining the tank?

Thanks,

Joe

So the peroxide "wears" out after 24 hours and you just simply refill after draining the tank?

Thanks,

Joe

pretty much that. Peroxide is just water with an extra Oxygen molecule. That extra molecule will attach and destroy anything carbon based, it is called a free radical molecule, which attaches to any other molecule (bacteria in this case), and oxidizes it, which in turn derstroys the free radical Oxygen as well. If you have a little left in the tank, no worries, as it is just a little more oxygen in the water, which will dissipate rapidly as fresh water is added. Never add H2O2 to a tank with fish in it...it will burn their gills and suffocate them.

Thanks so much for the info. The girl had a revelation; Her parents brought her a lava rock from Hawaii and she rinsed it off and put it in the tank. Not sureexactly how, but the timing seems to make it a suspect.

Thanks,

joe

The most likely problem is the word "small"..as in "small hex tank"..
how small? does the tank have a filter?

Scot

Looks to be a 10, and it appeared to have an undergravel filter.

I thought this conversation was about white cloud fish :p
( i have several)

Back