What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which one?

1) hi this is my first post on the forum, so hi everyone... and i have a question.
2)I want to buy a new nep to add to my collection and I am not sure. I want something that is rather special but easy.
which one is easier? Inermis or Ephippiata?

Hi! And welcome!!! You've come to the right place.

In my limited experience, both grow easy for me. So I'd pick the one you like best! Or better yet, try both! LOL!

Capslock

depends on your conditions.

ephippiata is a slow grower, to me inermis is much more rewarding to grow.

N. inermis is much easier and a faster grower as Iceman stated. However, I'd say N. ephippiata is more rewarding, if you're favorite pitchers are uppers and similar to N. lowii!

Shalom! Welcome to the forums! I don't have either species, just sanguinea, cocchinea, and ventrata - and those I know are easy, because I they are green, growing, and pitchering.

Greetings and salutations!

Are those my only two choices to pick from?
Both are equally interesting, but one has some nice coloring to it and one is mostly yellow green. One is fast growing and the other is slow. One will eventually look like another interestingly strange looking species (Whisper aloud N. lowii) but not so same.
if I were you, I'd try a hybrid perhaps since they are slightly faster growers and you won't give up cp's if you decide to get bored while awaiting your next leaf from your new plant.

N. eymae x veitchii is interesting, while lowers resemble a mottled N. veitchii (with stripes) the uppers resemble a large N. inermis.

N. lowii x ventricosa (if you can find it) rivals the sought-after N. Trusmardiensis any day and grows ten times faster. I think the pitchers looks more attractive and the pitchers are as hard as wood too!

N. ventricosa x ___ you fill in the blank. Anything crossed with N. ventricosa is a good easy grower and whatever it is crossed to, the pitchers resemble them a lot (i.e. N. ventricosa x sibuyanensis, pitchers are wide and large like a N. sibuyanensis, N. ventricosa x truncata, pitchers are like N. truncata in shape, but may be colored like a ventricosa, etc.)

Good luck!

Michael

Thanks everyone..
laugh.gif

Unfortunately i have room for one of those in my terrarium. I think I will pick inermis, really hard choice between those beauty’s.
And I do have N. lowii x ventricosa  and also  N. lowii x veitchii, lowii  hybrids always look stunning.

Just a note that N. inermis is a climber! It will stay relatively short for a little while as it grows larger in diameter, but even as a young plant it doesn't stay as a compact rosette.

TOny

Just to add my (late) two round chips of copper:
I grow both species, and I have much better luck with ephippiata, beleive it or not. The inermis does grow faster, but, at least for me, the pitcher don't last very long at all. My ephippiata pitchers are very long lived, and even though it's not a speed demon gowing wise, it never has few than four active pitchers at a time. With the inermis, I'm lucky if one pitcher lasts long enough for the next one to develope.

Back