What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I would appreciate info on which, if any of the following need a dormancy period: D. intermedia, D. adelae, D. binata Dichotoma, D. filiformis Red, D. capillaris, D. x hybrida and D. Burmannii – green.   Tamlin?
I know...I know...I should buy "Savage Garden" but I am waiting for the new edition due in December
confused.gif

You don't need the Savage Garden, you have me,LOL.

If your D. intermedia forms a hibernacula it is a temperate form and will nned dormancy. So will D. 'California Sunset' which I presume is your D. Hybrida. The jury is still out on D. filiformis var filiformis Red Form, Washington Co., Fla. It is supposed to be non-dormant, but I suspect it may profit from a winter rest. If yours forms hibernacula, it needs dormancy. For the temperate forms, if they form a hibernacula, they are dormant, if not then let them grow. They will tell you what they need. Try to keep the photoperiod close to natural length, and the initiation of the hibernacula will be a natural process.

All the other forms atr tropicals, or may be treated as tropicals. Note however, that D. binata is a light hungry species, and unless you can give the plant adequate winter light (read LOTS of light) it might be best to encourage it to go dormant, and provide a Sarracenia like dormancy for it. It will go dormant in cold conditions, and return in the spring.

Some forms of D. capillaris experience a summer dormancy, but all grow well throughout the winter for me.

-Savage Tamlin

Be very careful with that red filiformis.  Mine (i brought back from Orgel's Orchids) died when i had it outside a month ago, and after seeing it for sale on CCs webpage (with the explicit warning that cold soil would kill it), i think it was the cool fall nights.   Apparently it grows near warm lakes in the wild.  Interesting, useful facts... a bit late.

Edit:  But then, you live in Ft. Lauderdale, don't you... not much danger of cold nights... never mind.  
wink.gif

Ooook! What in the world is a hibernacula? My dictionary doesn't have that one.
Your statement about summer dormancy for D. capillaris is very interesting. Sure "nuff it started into a pretty drastic decline about the beginning of August. At exactly the same time my fillaformis red and my binata dichotoma began a swift descent to a near death experience. All three began to recover about a week ago. Is it possible such a diverse group of plants could have been experiencing a short summer dormancy at the same time?
confused.gif

Hibernacula are a tight knot of proto leaves that form during the shortening daylength of autumn. There is a photo (thanks Nick) of an example here:

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....;t=2780

All the temperate Drosera form hibernacula to protect the plant through the frozen winter months.

I doubt D. binata would experience any sort of summer dormancy, so the decline was probably due to other factors.

D. filiformis red seems to have periods of inactive growth throughout its growing season and I attribute this to not having provided the proper rest/dormancy during the winter, but this is only speculation. I have not experimented enough yet to say exactly what this variety wants.

Thanks for the photo Tamlin. Now I know what to look for. The Filaformis red has formed hibernacula and has remained that way from August until a few days ago. It now has two tiny leaves that are begining to sprout and a very tiny pup has appeared about two inches off to the side. I would have been willing to experiment but if I stick the pot in the frig, I may lose both. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
I guess I just let it grow and see what happens...unless of course, you have any other suggestions.
One of my capillaris is just beginning to form hibernacula so I guess it is refrigerator time for it.
That presents a whole new problem...I have to raise the teperature from "cold beer" to "40 degree, not so cold beer"
confused.gif
sad.gif

Did you really mean D. capillaris is making a hibernacula, or did you mean D. intermedia? D. capillaris does not form a hibernacula. This is what restricts its range to the more Southern states. So, if your plants are making hibernacula they are not this species. Also, daylength is more critical for temperate dormancy than any other condition, I have had some remain dormant at room temperature when the light period was kept short.

I have had D. filiformis act as yours is. The plant is probably trying to capitalize on the remainder of the growing season while still protecting itself. This also happens if the hibernacula is compromised or damaged in some way, but if it is healthy looking and firm no worries. I would just put it in dormancy conditions as is, and the offset will probably grow next season.

Back